Notebook power button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebook power button

Does anyone know how to relocate the power button of a notebook. I was thinking of soldering 2 wires to the switch but not sure where the connection points are on this switch.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    Wing the thinking ape

First off, this site has TONS of info- try searching next time, it helps keep the clutter to a minimum.

But, the easiest way to find which connect to turn on the laptop is to use a multimeter across the terminals until you find the pair that closes the circuit. I would recommend unplugging the laptop and taking out the battery. Just look for continuity.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer View Post
      First off, this site has TONS of info- try searching next time, it helps keep the clutter to a minimum.

But, the easiest way to find which connect to turn on the laptop is to use a multimeter across the terminals until you find the pair that closes the circuit. I would recommend unplugging the laptop and taking out the battery. Just look for continuity.

You have to "beep out" the circuit with a continuity tester. Push the button, and touch the probes to thse littel "metal" solder blobs around the button. There are 4. When you touch the correct 2, and push the button, it will beep. Those are the ones.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I think you will find that any combination of solder point, one on each side will be a short/break circuit, thats how most microswitches are setup
        Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I found that the two points are the metal square going around the switch and the bottom right blob.

It's incredibly small, don't think I can solder a loose wire to it without destroying the buttons connection to the circuit. Might have to attach a needle point to my soldering iron.
          Wing the thinking ape

Comment

I've got a bit of a crazy idea to build a wood frame around the laptop and have a screw/spring/motor rigged just above the button. Probably have a 9volt battery connected to the motor and a switch. Would at least keep the laptop in tact.
            Attached Files
            Wing the thinking ape

Comment

A motor? If you're going to go that way I would think a pressure switch might be better. Something unrelated, but uses one:

http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/ai...l?prodID=17941
              -------
              I'm hungry

Comment

use a cheap solenoid.

hookup 12v to a it, put a resistor to drop voltage and a momentary switch which will push solenoid until you release the button.
                My install in Toyota Tacoma

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91579

Comment

Lol, very very cool ideas.
                  Hehe, that thing looks like it'll punch a hole through my laptop =)
                  Wing the thinking ape

Comment

Lol, well the pressure switch is just the rubber part/hose. The rest of it is a laser sight for an Airsoft Gun. I suppose this is a better example:

http://www.tacticalflashlights.com/f...ics/PL2326.jpg
                    -------
                    I'm hungry

Comment

Thanks kaboom, I'll see if I can pick one up from my local electronics shop www.jaycar.com.au
                      Wing the thinking ape

Comment

Working...
                      X