X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapo webcam USB to RCA for external usage

Would it be possible to turn something like this :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Infrared-Night-V...QQcmdZViewItem

into a standard video capturing device that is not dependant on a computer and has a Video out (rca) as well as an ac adapter.
    I was wondering if that could be achieved just by cable swapping , stripping the original usb cable of the webcam , extracting both the power and the data cables off of it and then just using a standard rca cable connected to a monitor and an ac adapter at the right voltage (5v) to power it up.
    Woudl that alone work?

Thanks

Amir

Why not just purchase an IR camera with RCA output instead?

I don't think it's as simple as chopping off the USB connector and attaching an RCA connector.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      Why not just purchase an IR camera with RCA output instead?

I don't think it's as simple as chopping off the USB connector and attaching an RCA connector.
      I had thought of jsut getting one off of ebay.
      They're also very cheap, but they would take time to deliver and I already have this webcam here that I don't use anyway , along with a bunch of wires and ac adapters of all kinds to spare.
      I just need that technically certified "no way jose" so I know to get it off of ebay.

Amir

Comment

you definitely CANNOT just chop off the USB connector and run those wires to an RCA. It MIGHT be possible to instead tap into some internal signal inside the camera to get a composite video signal out, but A) you would probably destroy a cheaply made camera trying to get inside it, B) it's also likely that there IS no internal analog video signal, rather that the signal is kept digital from the camera sensor right to being sent via USB, and C) even if you found one it might very well not be directly compatible with composite video, and be a very high-impedance signal so you'd probably need to do a lot of conversion and buffering.

I'd say the odds are stacked pretty heavily against it, and it would probably be significantly easier to just buy something suitable.
        But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
        Originally posted by Viscouse
        I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
        eegeek.net

Comment

Ebayed up.

Thanks for the speedy replies and support.

Comment

Working...
          X