Help, 2 way switch + LEDS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, 2 way switch + LEDS

please let me know about the picture below. :-D!
    Attached Files

Well, how many discrete steps do you need?
    1) all off
    2) 1 led on
    3) 2 leds on
    4) 3 leds on

If you want each of those steps to have their own control, you need as many throws. Probably a rotary would work for you?
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

well what im doing is, putting LEDS in my cup holders and under my dash by my feet n passanger....

so what my goal was, to be able to have either cupholders on, or have under dash, or have all on....

Comment

Originally posted by dhantiflag View Post
        so what my goal was, to be able to have either cupholders on, or have under dash, or have all on....
        3 options, 2 way switch. Given that the switch can only be in two positions, in what position would you expect the switch to be for each of the 3 options? 3 into 2 doesn't go.
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Well, since it was a two way switch, what i was going to do, is either A) everything off, B)Cup Holders only, C) Cup Holders + Under dash

this is what my orignal goal was

Comment

Well, since it was a two way switch, what i was going to do, is either A) everything off, B)Cup Holders only, C) Cup Holders + Under dash

this is what my orignal goal was
            That's not what your previous message says. Please stop changing the specification.
            Although you still have three options here, since one option is everything off you can achieve this with a centre off 2 way switch and a diode. Similar to your first diagram but with a diode between the outer terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey View Post
              That's not what your previous message says. Please stop changing the specification.
              Although you still have three options here, since one option is everything off you can achieve this with a centre off 2 way switch and a diode. Similar to your first diagram but with a diode between the outer terminals.
              sorry dont mean to keep changing...

it is what i last said..

now the problem i have here, i know how to make the diagram i have above, the only problem is, i dont know how when i want all to turn on how to achieve that...

Comment

Like ok, so the switch has the settings, Switch1, switch2, and off

if i have switch1 set to two leds, how to i set switch2 up so it will go to those same 2 LEDS plus addition LED without coming on when switch1 is activated.

Comment

now the problem i have here, i know how to make the diagram i have above, the only problem is, i dont know how when i want all to turn on how to achieve that...
                  Originally posted by Rob Withey View Post
                  Similar to your first diagram but with a diode between the outer terminals.

Comment

what size diode should i get?

sry i didnt see that before....

Comment

what size diode should i get?

sry i didnt see that before....
                      A 3 gronkel diode is best, but failing that a 1 splurget diode may just do. If you get the splurget diode, make sure it is a vertical and not a horizontal. Red diodes are best, but they cost more.

Basically your question amounts to "how long a piece of string should I get?" It totally depends on the application. They're your lights, you should know how many there are and how much current they draw. Get a diode that can carry enough current, and reverse breakdown voltage that can handle the supply voltage backwards.

Comment

How about he use another LED so when it lights up, it's a good indicator the circuit is working.

Heh... you need a 3-state mechanical switch of some sort.

Comment

thanks rob, i got it working :-)

the diode worked perfect!

Comment

well here are some pictures of what i started....

next is under the driver/pass leds :-)

i got a little bored :-P so what...

Comment

Don't know if you still need this, but all you'd really need to do for this set up is get a switch that has 2 prongs for each setting (all the ones I have do?) and it should work no problem.

My Work Log

Comment

Working...
                              X