Computer Controlled Guages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Controlled Guages

Hey guys I've been searching to see if anyone has made some external usb/another external source car gauges such as a tach, speed, and fuel. The computer could use the GPS to find the speed and have some input devices for fuel and tach.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

1996 Accord Ex Carputer

Soon to come 2008 WRX 5-door Mac-carputer.

you'd need a 5Hz GPS, but even then still wont be exact.

Comment

Dead recking GPS would be good. Plus, dead reckining GPS adjust themselves based on the speed sensors in your car.

OBDII for tach and other stuff (temps). I don't know if OBDII supports fuel % left.
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I did. My pic-based circuit is measuring the rpm, speed, accu, distance, temp in/out and so...then passitng the results to the PC via parallel port.
        I use the digital signal that goes to the instruments, eg: speedometer or tachometer.
        Alopecia perniciosa

Comment

confused, then what are you asking?

Comment

or u could just tap into the ecu and display it on your screen......

Comment

Originally posted by SmoL View Post
              or u could just tap into the ecu and display it on your screen......
              Just think about how cluttered that would be. And plus gauges look better.

1996 Accord Ex Carputer

Comment

well you could write a program to get the signal from the ECU and output it into a "gauge"

Comment

Ya, it's called a stack display, and it AINT CHEAP, and not really a straight OBD.

With a car, you have evertything you need IN YOUR DASH. Why would you need a speedometer, or tach, or fuel when that is already there.

Michael
                  ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
                    Ya, it's called a stack display, and it AINT CHEAP, and not really a straight OBD.

With a car, you have evertything you need IN YOUR DASH. Why would you need a speedometer, or tach, or fuel when that is already there.

Michael
                    because some people want to replace stock gauges with a display driven by a pc
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity View Post
                      because some people want to replace stock gauges with a display driven by a pc
                      That is a stack display you have pictured there, I believe, or it is a clone of a stack.

http://www.stackinc.com/mshome.html

I still can't understand what the advantage is to doubling the meters and gauges in a car, but, I understand that people might want to do it.

I REALLY want a stack in my ride, but will remove the stock gauge, assuming the race car has a stock gauge

EDIT: I Guess the OP did not want a stand alone, my bad.

Michael
                      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
                        That is a stack display you have pictured there, I believe, or it is a clone of a stack.

http://www.stackinc.com/mshome.html

I still can't understand what the advantage is to doubling the meters and gauges in a car, but, I understand that people might want to do it.

I REALLY want a stack in my ride, but will remove the stock gauge, assuming the race car has a stock gauge

EDIT: I Guess the OP did not want a stand alone, my bad.

Michael
                        Not a Stack, but similar. The unit I pic'd can be used stand alone, or as a data aquisition/logger.
                        http://www.motec.com/products/dash/adl2dash.htm
                        Pricey either way. But, damn that is cool as hell. Wish my dash looked F1

Comment

We people are different. I personaly never understand why somebody build an amplifier in the car with more than 30W. But I allow them

In this case I like the idea to have ALL the info in the computer and I can handle them as I like. If I prefer the digital speedometer, why I have to stare at an analogous one? Besides I think it is in the wrong place, I prefer the speedometer over the top line of the dashboard. It is more comfortable to my eyes, I have tried. Good guys at FIAT give more respect to that stupid 'the speedometer MUST BE on the other side of the wheel' tradition.
                          And because many other people think so, I should not remove it. THEREFORE I have double gauges, for example.
                          Alopecia perniciosa

Comment

I am planning to remove my stock guages and install speakers up in the front with my guages sitting in the center where the a/c control is.

1996 Accord Ex Carputer

Comment

Here's the setup I've put together for my race car

and

Data comes direct from the ECU, data logger and LabJack U3, currently has 11 screens selectable via 12 way rotary switch and a few buttons (no longer on the steering wheel!) 3 screens for road, 3 for racing and the remainder for diagnostics and configuration.

The screens shown have been updated slightly since the photo's were taken 6 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X