This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bluetooth TPMS in Development

Its been a while since I have been on the forums, I see that we have crossed the 1000 post mark on the primary TPMS development thread which is great news as it shows that many of you still continue to use your systems and there also many new users which continue buy and use the USB TPMS kit. I am glad to say that we have sold over 200 TPMS systems which is far beyond what I had intially expected back when we did our beta test. I really want to thank Robby, Wolfgang and the other developers who have made this truely a great device for us CarPC users, and also would like to thank all of you testers and forum members as your feedback has been priceless in overcoming all the obstacles we had to face through development.

The first prototype of USB TPMS was developed back in 2007 by none other than RobbyBMW. In 2008 I was able to work with Robby to design and manufacture something that users with little or no technical knowledge could now use. It is now 2012 and USB TPMS is well into maturity, and is now a fairly stable and well functioning device.

I have also seen a shift in the CarPC industry to newer technologies. Many of you are starting to use Tablets and Smartphones as your primary mobile hardware interface as they are feature rich, provide excellent mobility, can be easily installed without having to excessively modify the interior of your vehicle, and with most tablets priced in the $300 to $500 they are very affordable.

With the USB TPMS being such a great success I feel like its now time for the next level. My parent company Circuitronics Corporation has now shifted its focus to product development and we now have the necessary equipment and people to develop cutting edge electronic products. In fact we have already successfully developed hardware products that interface with tablets both via USB and Wirelessly. Using this technology and knowledge I am now developing the next generation TPMS system. I don't want to divulge too much, but basically we are working towards a new version of the hardware that will use Bluetooth to wirelessly communicate with an 'App' to show tire pressure and temperature data on a smartphone or tablet. We have taken all feedback into consideration and are also working to fix other areas of the design that have room for improvement.

I really value all of your feedback so I want to start this thread to see if any of you have any comments, suggestions, or ideas for the new system both on the App side and the hardware side. There is no way we can incorporate all of your suggestions but if we see that many of you desire a certain feature then we will take the time to implement it if possible. If you like what you are reading and want to get your hands on this before anyone else then be sure too look out for a pre-order in the coming months as there will be a beta test for this new product prior to retail release.

Thank You all for your interest and support!

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
    Will this still use the third eye TPMS system.
    i.e., an add-on box that plugs into the usb port of the existing third eye box we already have. Will probably require external 12V power, but that's O.K. just don't make me have to find a 5V source.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

I think its just a new receiver.

Lok the one complaint i have is there is no time stamp when the last pressure reading was taken. Dosen't have to be clock time, relative would be great, A more sensitive receiver would be great. Also many new cars have tpms systems, removing them would cause problems, are you thinking of doing a mulit prorocol receiver?

Comment

Seeking BT TPMS sensors

I have an application that requires just the sensors themselves. Where can I source a dozen or so of these for testing purposes? This is not for a car but rather is an alternate solution.

Comment

anyone in this thread know if there is a TPMS manufactured that uses the Bluetooth signalling frequencies ( in the ISM band from 2400-2480 MHz)?

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
            Will this still use the third eye TPMS system.
            As of now I plan on continuing to use the 3rd Eye TPMS sensors only because I can easily get them and I know that they will work and I know that I can continue to buy them from the supplier in the future. I also have the RF circuit of that frequency already designed so there isn't as much design work that I have to go through. If there are any other readily available sensors I am willing to do some initial tests to see if I can get them to work with the new system.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
              i.e., an add-on box that plugs into the usb port of the existing third eye box we already have. Will probably require external 12V power, but that's O.K. just don't make me have to find a 5V source.
              We plan to make this a 12VDC device so that It can be used with a cigaratte lighter adapter. There are some plans to design an adapter board for existing users but we need to see if it can be easily done.

Comment

To make sure i understand this, the new system will use bluetooth to communicate to the app, but the sensors will still utilize RF in the manor the USB kit does?
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by ndabunka View Post
                  I have an application that requires just the sensors themselves. Where can I source a dozen or so of these for testing purposes? This is not for a car but rather is an alternate solution.
                  I now see from the clarification that the sensors in this thread are NOT bluetooth sensors so they would not do any good for my applicaiton. In fact, so far it appears that nobody makes BT TPMS sensors (at this time). It sure would be a LOT more convenient to simply allow handheld devices to leverage a signal that they already receive (such as BT) rather than having to route the signals through soem 3rd-party box (like in this thread) but that isn't the way of this world (apparently).

If anyone here learns of a BT-enabled TPMS, please message me.

Comment

Originally posted by steven765 View Post
                    I think its just a new receiver.

Lok the one complaint i have is there is no time stamp when the last pressure reading was taken. Dosen't have to be clock time, relative would be great, A more sensitive receiver would be great. Also many new cars have tpms systems, removing them would cause problems, are you thinking of doing a mulit prorocol receiver?
                    We will redesigning the firmware from the ground up so this may be something we can do. From what it sounds like you are basically looking for a data parameter that logs when the last data packet is recieved from each sensor for error checking and also to ensure good data transmission. We are also looking at other tweaks to help improve the firmware.

As far as reciever sensitivity, our new model will have an MCX style connector to allow for high gain antennas to be hooked up directly if needed.

As far as a multi protocol reciever goes, from my understanding every car manufacturer uses a different type of sensor.
                    The two major differences are:

1. The RF transmission frequency, our particular sensors operate on the 433.92 MHz and our reciever is tuned to pick up transmissions on that frequency only.
                    2. Sensor Logic, the data packets being sent in the tranmissions can vary, for example our sensors measure both temperature and pressure, other sensors may only measure pressure.

For us to be able to make something that works universally, we need to know all the different frequencies sensors operate in and we would also have to deciper the data packets from various sensors to figure out what type of logic is being used. Correct me if I am wrong but I belive there are far too many varieties out there to be able to make something that is universal across the board. We could consider adding some protocols that use the same frequency, but I am sure there is extra work involved there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ndabunka View Post
                      I now see from the clarification that the sensors in this thread are NOT bluetooth sensors so they would not do any good for my applicaiton. In fact, so far it appears that nobody makes BT TPMS sensors (at this time). It sure would be a LOT more convenient to simply allow handheld devices to leverage a signal that they already receive (such as BT) rather than having to route the signals through soem 3rd-party box (like in this thread) but that isn't the way of this world (apparently).

If anyone here learns of a BT-enabled TPMS, please message me.
                      Your solution sounds great as it would reduce the number of devices you need for the whole system to work but from what I know I think the limitiation manufacturers are facing is that Bluetooth requires a lot more power than RF. Also bluetooth communication typically requires pairing, most of your handheld devices can usually pair to only one device at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                        To make sure i understand this, the new system will use bluetooth to communicate to the app, but the sensors will still utilize RF in the manor the USB kit does?
                        That is correct, sensors will still communicate to the reciever via RF as they have in the past. Reciever will communcate to the app via Bluetooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Lok View Post
                          We will redesigning the firmware from the ground up so this may be something we can do. From what it sounds like you are basically looking for a data parameter that logs when the last data packet is recieved from each sensor for error checking and also to ensure good data transmission. We are also looking at other tweaks to help improve the firmware.

As far as reciever sensitivity, our new model will have an MCX style connector to allow for high gain antennas to be hooked up directly if needed.
                          To me, this is the bigger issue. The 3rd eye seems to have trouble receiving the data and so it can be stale for 15 minutes I've noticed sometimes. Just a time stamp or have the firmware report a zero if the data is grater then x seconds old.

Originally posted by Lok View Post
                          As far as a multi protocol reciever goes, from my understanding every car manufacturer uses a different type of sensor.
                          The two major differences are:

1. The RF transmission frequency, our particular sensors operate on the 433.92 MHz and our reciever is tuned to pick up transmissions on that frequency only.
                          2. Sensor Logic, the data packets being sent in the tranmissions can vary, for example our sensors measure both temperature and pressure, other sensors may only measure pressure.

For us to be able to make something that works universally, we need to know all the different frequencies sensors operate in and we would also have to deciper the data packets from various sensors to figure out what type of logic is being used. Correct me if I am wrong but I belive there are far too many varieties out there to be able to make something that is universal across the board. We could consider adding some protocols that use the same frequency, but I am sure there is extra work involved there as well.
                          As an engineer, it's always funny to see how quickly we go into explanation mode. I would guess there's only two or three manufacturer's out there, but the cost of dealing with that might be too steep. I really meant it as more of a btw. I don't care I'm keeping my car around for another decade after the new engine goes in.
                          Last edited by steven765; 03-12-2012, 12:43 PM. Reason: Spelling: Do you have it ************

Comment

Note to Lok: If a post is yellow it means it needs approving.

If you quote a yellow post your post will then also need approving.

No-approved posts can't be seen by general users, only Mods and admins.

/note to Lok.

Comment

Working...
                            X