Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Options for powered usb hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Options for powered usb hub

    I need some options on getting a powered usb and how it should be powered. I currently have a unpowered 1.1 in the front of my car and looking to upgrade.

    Oh, by the way i already have a Carnetix POL to start. Thanks.

    Motherboard: Epox MATX
    Power: M2-ATX
    Storage: 120gb 3.5"
    Optical: Slim Slot cdrw/dvd
    Audio: SB Audigy 2
    GPS: BU-353 & iGuidance 4
    OS: Win FLP (Fundamentals)
    Frontend: Roadrunner (DFX 3 & 4)

  • #2
    Check the power supply for the powered hub. You want one that takes 5vDC.
    Then you can use the Carnetix POL or take 5v from a HDD molex connector to power the USB hub.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks DP, I appreciate the response but what i need is a couple of makes and model of what people are actually using in their installs so that i have something to go off of.

      Motherboard: Epox MATX
      Power: M2-ATX
      Storage: 120gb 3.5"
      Optical: Slim Slot cdrw/dvd
      Audio: SB Audigy 2
      GPS: BU-353 & iGuidance 4
      OS: Win FLP (Fundamentals)
      Frontend: Roadrunner (DFX 3 & 4)

      Comment


      • #4
        You can't go into a computer store and look at power supplies of USB hubs?

        Ummm. OK.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?



        Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Good point...my bad. Anyway i picked up a 7 port with a 5V @ 2.2A. i think should be ok. Please let me know if i'm missing something.

          Motherboard: Epox MATX
          Power: M2-ATX
          Storage: 120gb 3.5"
          Optical: Slim Slot cdrw/dvd
          Audio: SB Audigy 2
          GPS: BU-353 & iGuidance 4
          OS: Win FLP (Fundamentals)
          Frontend: Roadrunner (DFX 3 & 4)

          Comment


          • #6
            Looking for the same thing. Yesterday I went by the shop that is doing my install and while we got everything working, windows gave "there was a surge on the usb" blah blah, and basically the DVD drive I think just pulled too much from what the on board usb could provide.

            I found an old powered usb hub, and the power adapter reads:
            Input 100-240 - 0.3A MAX
            Output: +5v 1.2A

            So from what Darque has said, I need that top line to say: 5vDC ?

            I'm obviously not well versed on any of this yet, but I was thinking, since the output of this hub is the +5v 1.2A (0.3A per 4 of the usb's), that I can simply cut the power wire, and connect it to a 4-pin molex connector off the PSU. Then I confused myself, because I thought the 4-pin molex connectors are 12v (which is what is powering my LCD)

            Any direction is appreciated!

            Comment


            • #7
              Molex drive connector voltages

              Originally posted by Phatsacks View Post
              Looking for the same thing. Yesterday I went by the shop that is doing my install and while we got everything working, windows gave "there was a surge on the usb" blah blah, and basically the DVD drive I think just pulled too much from what the on board usb could provide.

              I found an old powered usb hub, and the power adapter reads:
              Input 100-240 - 0.3A MAX
              Output: +5v 1.2A

              So from what Darque has said, I need that top line to say: 5vDC ?

              I'm obviously not well versed on any of this yet, but I was thinking, since the output of this hub is the +5v 1.2A (0.3A per 4 of the usb's), that I can simply cut the power wire, and connect it to a 4-pin molex connector off the PSU. Then I confused myself, because I thought the 4-pin molex connectors are 12v (which is what is powering my LCD)

              Any direction is appreciated!
              The Molex four pin connectors that are for powering disk drives have both 5V and 12V. The wiring is:
              Red --> +5V
              Yellow --> +12V
              Black(X2) --> Gnd

              You should also power your USB optical drive directly from the molex instead of letting it draw from the USB ports.
              ~Jimmy

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks JimmyFitz, so was I correct then? (minus my lack of fully understanding the cables)

                I can splice a 4pin, use the red+black, and connect it to the power cord of the usb hub I described, and it should work?

                Edit:

                You suggested powering the USB Optical directly from the molex. This may negate the need for me to even need this USB hub (although I'd still like a confirmation, just in case I need it down the road).

                It's a laptop optical drive, usb powered. How can I power it directly from a molex connector, instead of it using the USB hub, without splicing open the usb cable?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Phatsacks View Post
                  Thanks JimmyFitz, so was I correct then? (minus my lack of fully understanding the cables)

                  I can splice a 4pin, use the red+black, and connect it to the power cord of the usb hub I described, and it should work?

                  Edit:

                  You suggested powering the USB Optical directly from the molex. This may negate the need for me to even need this USB hub (although I'd still like a confirmation, just in case I need it down the road).

                  It's a laptop optical drive, usb powered. How can I power it directly from a molex connector, instead of it using the USB hub, without splicing open the usb cable?
                  Did the optical drive come with a wall wart for use at home? If so, see if that is 5V output. If it is, you can cut the cable from it and wire that to your molex 5V (or get another coaxial connector for the drive.)
                  ~Jimmy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They came with an AC plug attached to another USB/PS2 cable. I threw those worthless things away. I mean, who would ever need alternate power? Hahahaha seriously, what a worthless cable...never to be needed haha oh :supersadface:

                    Well, back to the USB hub idea I guess. So, the hub I described will work when splicing into red+black? Looks like it to me, but I'm not as savy as you and others.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Phatsacks View Post
                      They came with an AC plug attached to another USB/PS2 cable. I threw those worthless things away. I mean, who would ever need alternate power? Hahahaha seriously, what a worthless cable...never to be needed haha oh :supersadface:

                      Well, back to the USB hub idea I guess. So, the hub I described will work when splicing into red+black? Looks like it to me, but I'm not as savy as you and others.
                      The hub still won't put out enough current to run the drive over USB. You really need the power cable. See if you can get a coaxial plug from rat shack or somewhere that will mate to the drive and hook that to 5V. Without the second power source, the drive will possibly be recognized by the PC but most likely will fail when it tries to spin up for use.
                      ~Jimmy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Will do, thanks for the help!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          im looking to do the same thing althought the hub will be up front in the dash where as the pc and power supply is in the boot where can i pickup 5v?
                          Unphased A New and upcoming site for VW owners.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by EaRNi View Post
                            im looking to do the same thing althought the hub will be up front in the dash where as the pc and power supply is in the boot where can i pickup 5v?
                            Originally posted by JimmyFitz View Post
                            The Molex four pin connectors that are for powering disk drives have both 5V and 12V. The wiring is:
                            Red --> +5V
                            Yellow --> +12V
                            Black(X2) --> Gnd

                            You should also power your USB optical drive directly from the molex instead of letting it draw from the USB ports.
                            ~Jimmy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              so i need a long wire from the boot to the front, just to power the hub?
                              Unphased A New and upcoming site for VW owners.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X