Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless control button, steering wheel mounted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless control button, steering wheel mounted?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a small wireless input button that I could attach to my steering wheel, since I don't have any factory wheel buttons? I plan to use this with voice recognition, so I would press the button to speak commands into the mic attached to a car PC. A search on google pulled up nothing.

As reference, here is a wireless controller for the Harmon/Kardon drive + play:

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-2/..._overview.aspx

Something similar would be great, possibly bluetooth?

I'm currently thinking along the same lines and here is what I've come up with.

take one of these wireless remotes (or something similar):
    http://www.amazon.com/Portable-26-bu...498622&sr=8-16

and hack into the buttons, rerouting them into some external push buttons that can be mounted to the steering wheel. I'm thinking of placing them on some sort of flexible backing, like a sheet of plastic, and then velcro taping them to the wheel. The remote itself would also be attached to the wheel.

let me know what you think.
    Car PC Progress:

Planning: 90%
    Parts: 90%
    Fabrication: 10%
    Installation: 0%
    Software: 20%

Comment

I'm amazed at how difficult it is to find a small bluetooth remote that does not require a dongle. Do you mean you plan on having the remote attached to the back of the wheel, with the buttons rerouted to other buttons, attached to the front of the wheel?

Comment

I bought a steering wheel for my car that had those buttons that tell your car when to shift, with the intention of using the buttons to control my car computer.

What I did was take the remote from one of those tiny, cheap remote control cars (like this one) and wire it up to the steering wheel buttons. For power, I hooked it up to the 12V line for the horn and stuck the PCB behind the airbag. I wired the receiver portion to a usb game controller.

It works pretty well, but I don't know if it could be used in your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by epod86 View Post
          I'm currently thinking along the same lines and here is what I've come up with.

take one of these wireless remotes (or something similar):
          http://www.amazon.com/Portable-26-bu...498622&sr=8-16

and hack into the buttons, rerouting them into some external push buttons that can be mounted to the steering wheel. I'm thinking of placing them on some sort of flexible backing, like a sheet of plastic, and then velcro taping them to the wheel. The remote itself would also be attached to the wheel.

let me know what you think.
          I bought that remote and it sucks. The buttons are so shallow it is horrible to press. I would try to find some with some umph.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I know this isn't what your looking for but here's my solution provided you have space for a touchpad. With the touch pad you will be able to control the PC without having to touch your screen. Secondly with the touch pad the upper right had corner (the light grey triangle) acts as a right click.

You can use a free utility autohotkeys to bind right click to emulate any key on the keyboard (i.e what ever key your front end uses to envoke voice command) then simply tap the upper right hand corner of your touchpad to evoke voice commands.

Works great for me

My Install

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
              I bought that remote and it sucks. The buttons are so shallow it is horrible to press. I would try to find some with some umph.
              Well, I plan to use the remote mostly just as a relay for the commands, I will wire in my own buttons to the buttons on the remotes keypad. I'll probably use a couple of pcb through-hole switches glued to soft plastic, and the plastic velcroed to the wheel.
              Car PC Progress:

Planning: 90%
              Parts: 90%
              Fabrication: 10%
              Installation: 0%
              Software: 20%

Comment

here is what you need, i saw along time ago a thread that did exactly wht u want it to, so SEARCH

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...s&i=130CDSR100
                http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...385387&loc=111
                http://www.buy.com/prod/designed-wit...203324728.html
                http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...8RMX4S&tp=2833
                http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0CDVC1&tp=2833

hope this helps, last one include mic!

Edit:
                Found the old thread
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/inpu...-controls.html

Originally posted by tbird2340 View Post
                I am in the process of trying to find a steering wheel remote that looks good and also works good. I figured I'd post the ones I've found and maybe people can reply with any experience they may have with them.

Now I'm not sure if all of these are IR but if they are they should work w/ generic IR receiver and girder...

1. Jensen IR20 - $20

2. Blaupunkt RC10 - $40

3. Audiovox NPSWR - $??

4. Pioneer CD-SR80 - $39

5. VDO Dayton RCS5100/4000 - $??

Comment

I had that Pioneer one on a previous stereo. The range wasn't all that good. However, it did work with a MCE receiver (http://www.govistashop.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1298) and Girder.

Any of the remotes above should work as long as you have some sort of IR receiver you can control with software like Girder or HIP.

Comment

Wow, I just started working on this exact same idea, of those controls, how do I know if the reciever is compatiple with somehting like grinder, and how would one contect it to a PC?

I was thinking the PCB route might be better, using the one of those KeyWiz Contolers, with a series of momentary buttons would also work nice, But getting the buttons layed out in a decent way, adn looking as OEM as possible would be the tough part! I wonder how they would work with grinder.

I do some minor Resin casting, might try andcome up wuth some thing...

Also one could buy a newer Steering Wheel with one of those controlers on it, and then possible connect the wires to the KeyWiz to make it all work... I might hit the junk yards and see what I can find (assuming the newer Steering wheel, will work on my car)!!!
                    '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
                    CarPuter [Under Development]

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but why not a wireless remote like the ones used to control powerpoint, etc? I was thinking about down the road installing some buttons on my steering wheel as well, and that's what I planned on using. I guess not good for you because you're looking for BT and most of those use a proprietary USB dongle?

Comment

Originally posted by EQNish View Post

Also one could buy a newer Steering Wheel with one of those controlers on it, and then possible connect the wires to the KeyWiz to make it all work... I might hit the junk yards and see what I can find (assuming the newer Steering wheel, will work on my car)!!!
                        That's essentially what I did. The problem you'll run into is that your car likely does not have the connector needed to connect the steering wheel buttons to your car.

I hacked up a little remote control car and used the remote to send the input from the steering wheel buttons via RF to the receiver, which connects to the keywiz

Comment

Anyone know what the cheapest / smallest USB IR Receiver that will work w/ Girder or Event ghost is? I know the Windows MCE IR receiver works but it is pretty bulky and is $20...

This one here from hong kong fuey is only $10 and is pretty small but I'm just not sure it will work with Girder or Event Ghost..

Anyone?
                          Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

well here are my 50c
                            If you get a USB controlle mounted somweher you can get regular remote controll of eBay (not a TV one but a Alarm style say for 11 buttons) will cost you ~$20
                            Battery life usually like 5 years , range 100m

here is the link to some http://www.netairbuy.com/switch/switch.htm

I would use one for myself but I'm afaraif of tauching airbag, if my car detects airbag failure i will have to take it dealer
                            Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
                            Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
                            3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

Multifunctional universal Wheel push buttons Controller CIR-309U / CIR-310U

Functionality:
                              CIR-309U is the interface between the resistive matrix of car wheel buttons and commands to be performed by an external device under their control. In addition, the device has a digital input data, due to which commands can be transferred from any other compatible device, for example, the controller CAN bus.
                              Advantages:
                              • Suitable for resistive matrix of any type;
                              • Auto-tuning of the input circuits in accordance with type of resistive matrix;
                              • Two independent inputs for connecting left and right groups of buttons;
                              • Input of digital control makes controller usage universal;
                              • Memory (with remote), with subsequent presentation, up to 32 commands;
                              • 8 independent outputs, 2 of which provide additional functions;
                              • Integrated current source provides a connection of diode emitters without need of additional resistors installation;
                              • Possibility of programming commands of resistive control panels such as joystick for such brands as Sony and Pioneer;
                              • Convenient parameter setting by computer;
                              • Programming the carrier frequency for each of the infrared outputs. This provides maximum signal / noise ratio, that ensures maximum quality of multimedia device control;
                              • Ability to memorize the entire configuration and infrared codes separately, in any medium, for example, in hard disk;
                              • Absolute inertness to erroneous wiring of the voltage or power to any of the inputs;
                              • Low power consumption;
                              • Small size 64 x 49 x18mm. (2.48 x 1.89 x 0.69inches).
                              Using the CIR-309U “multihelm” can be arranged, i.e. using the buttons on the helm you are able to control radio, DVD, TV, amplifier, speaker unit, siren etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X