Mouse and GPS in the same USB hub?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse and GPS in the same USB hub?

Iíve got a Via EPIA MII-1200 motherboard, and it only has 2 USB ports on it. I use one for my USB CD drive because it doesnít get enough power to run otherwise, so that narrows me down to 1 port. So naturally, I plug in an USB 2.0 hub and connect my GPS receiver, my touch screen (which isnít installed at the moment and isnít on but still plugged in just for planning sake), and finally my wireless keyboard that has a little joystick mouse in it. I have noticed that when running Road Runner, then launching iGuidance, it makes my mouse cursor respond in intervals of about one per second. Is this due to the fact that I have the GPS and the wireless keyboard plugged into the same USB hub?

Would buying a PCMCIA card that offers more USB ports be better or is it the same thing as a hub?

why dont you buy a usb hub?

Comment

Well, every usb port card has at least one hub. But it's also a completely new interface in which the hub is attaching to. I am however very VERY surprised the EPIA only has 2 ports. Are you sure there isn't an extra header on the motherboard for 2 more? I'll have to go google the board...

EDIT: According to via it has "1 USB connector for 2 additional USB 2.0 ports" under onboard I/O Connectors. So you have a total of 4 to work with.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Comment

Originally posted by kevincat View Post
        why dont you buy a usb hub?
        LOL. I have a hub, and that is what is causing the problem... Because they are plugged into the same hub and I believe they are conflicting.

Tidder... It has a spot for 2 more, but I don't have the harware for it. I have the regular VoomPC case. How can I get two more? Because that would be a life saver!

Comment

oh heh... guess i didnt read carefully..

Comment

Originally posted by mshale View Post
            Tidder... It has a spot for 2 more, but I don't have the harware for it. I have the regular VoomPC case. How can I get two more? Because that would be a life saver!
            Hmm... not sure. I have a Voom case as well, don't use it anymore, but I know what you're saying, no spots for it. May need to mod the case to add them...
            Tidder

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
              Hmm... not sure. I have a Voom case as well, don't use it anymore, but I know what you're saying, no spots for it. May need to mod the case to add them...
              where do I get them? I'm pretty sure that I can get 'em in there, but I don't know where to buy just the ports that have connectors that will plug in the pins on the motherboard. Does that make any sense? LOL

Comment

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/90

Same concept, you need the connectors, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200086
                "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                RevFE
                My Shop

Comment

Is your GPS working? If not, go into Device Manager, look in "Mice and other pointing devices" for a serial mouse like Microsoft Trackpoint or something that shouldn't be there and disable it.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
                    Is your GPS working? If not, go into Device Manager, look in "Mice and other pointing devices" for a serial mouse like Microsoft Trackpoint or something that shouldn't be there and disable it.
                    yeah its working. I took everything out of the USB ports and hub, then plugged the gps into one port on the actual motherboard, and the keyboard (with the mouse built in) into the other USB port, and there is no more mouse lag. So I'm positive that it was the hub that was causing the issue.

Comment

It would definitely be worth modding the case. You could also power a hub off the PSU like many do, for the CD drive. Mixing devices on a hub is hit and miss and then there's 2.0 and 1.1 and all that, so having 2 hubs lets you swap plugs around till it works. I think most 2.0 devices work well together though.

Comment

Working...
                      X