Rearview camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rearview camera

Hi. My carputer is now installed, the LCD screen is mounted, WLAN card is installed and my GPS is in the mail. Now I am wondering about my rearview camera. How can I make this work? I want the camera to fill the whole screen when I put the car in reverse and then get back to it's original screen when the car is put out of reverse. To do this I have to connect a cable from my reverse-lights which will give the signal, and I need some kind of software to recieve this signal. What do I need?

Depends on how you want to input the signal to the screen. If you are you directly inputing the rearview signal to the screen, you will need some sort of leading/trailing pulse generator to trigger the input button to switch from vga to rca. If you are using a video capture card, I recommend taking a look at using a fusion brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Plecto View Post
      Hi. My carputer is now installed, the LCD screen is mounted, WLAN card is installed and my GPS is in the mail. Now I am wondering about my rearview camera. How can I make this work? I want the camera to fill the whole screen when I put the car in reverse and then get back to it's original screen when the car is put out of reverse. To do this I have to connect a cable from my reverse-lights which will give the signal, and I need some kind of software to recieve this signal. What do I need?
      It all depends on what screen have. Some LCDs come with a special wire that you connect to the reverse bulb. When you go into reverse, the bulb turns on, and automatically switches to the A/V 1 or 2 on the screen. Then when it turns off, it goes back to last state.
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

HiJackZX is correct. Some LCDs have the hardware switching solution built in by default. I have a lilliput, which unfortunately doesnt have that feature.

Comment

Hmm... what about a relay? The relay is triggered by the reverselights. Kompositt only has two leading cables, right? In that case I just have to cut one of them to stop the video information from reaching the screen? But then again, the screen have to overrule the VGA input when there is a kompositt input present, don't know how that would work actually.

What's a fusion brain?

Comment

My LCD screen doesnt have a rearview camera option. So how do I do this? Isnt there any kind of PCI card that you can plug different 12V devices to?

Comment

Does your screen accept multiple inputs (rca, vga, ...) or just one?

Comment

It has VGA, S-video and compositt (RCA).

Comment

Ill post more once I get back to my notes (away on business right now). Essentially what needs to be created is a circuit that will simulate the "video source" button's being pressed both when the car is put into and taken out of reverse. The way I am going to do this is using a leading/trailing edge trigger on the reverse lights to pulse a relay. I will give you the specifics once I return to my garage.

Comment

Most have been said, but I summarize. Correct me if I am wrong:

1) Some Panels has to be controlled by selecting AV with a button press.
                    In this case you will need to modify your hardware to get it automatic. I guess fusion brain is one way. Depending on how the buttons operate. Fusion brain has not got isolated output that might be required (= need for relay or bilateral switch like DG441) From spec it has not got open collector outputs either so I would not use it without glue electronics. (I think an absolute max rating of 17[V] powersupply is unsufficient too...)

2) Some Panels will detect AV present (= camera on) and switch automatically from VGA to AV. Xenarc, and Lilliput if special sequence of buttons are pressed on remote. See this post and search forum.

In this case you connect the camera power to rear light. You might see some warming up effects. (I am not sure if it can be switched in if VGA is off)

3) Some Panels has a "rearview" wire input.

In this case you connect rearview light to this input.

My system is a system 3. A CID-650.

I noticed that if the rearview input was made active without having VGA on first, the panel would not enable VGA without selecting VGA again with the buttons when rearview was turned off. This was bad for me as I wanted the system to be totally automatic. No buttons at all!

I thought I'd just mentioned that this is a possible problem depending on your setup. If you are interested in how I solved it check link in signature. I also wanted a delayed off ;-)
                    My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

Comment

Well if your picky like me, you can make a dedicated system with its own screen. I have a 10.2 inch rear view screen. It turns on automatically. It is connected to a quad processor that allows me to watch up to 4 cameras all at the same time. I have mine set to 3 way view to view left, right, and rear. I also bought a box so that when I want to zoom to a specific camera, I jest hit left or right and it will zoom accordingly. I am also going to delete my mirrors, it will be 100% camera.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Amazing Hihack!
                        But camera _is_ the way to go. I have without thinking about it started to use camera and camera only when reversing. It is safer and easier than turning head and looking in rearview mirror.
                        More info please!

Comment

Originally posted by bes51659 View Post
                          Amazing Hihack!
                          But camera _is_ the way to go. I have without thinking about it started to use camera and camera only when reversing. It is safer and easier than turning head and looking in rearview mirror.
                          More info please!
                          The technology isnt main stream, just like PCs, especially the way I am using it. It has limitations, if there is very little light, you can not see a certain distance. I think I/R Cams would work, but they are very pricey. Also I am not sure about the law, alot of states require a mirror on the driver side and the rear mirror. I am removing them all. I am hoping to argue that my way is 100% better.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

In Sweden it is required to have a side mirror on the driver side (which I want to keep anyway), but not on the passanger side. The ceiling one I do'no. What if you've got an estate or lorry full of stuff, and can't use it anyway?

Had a look thru your worklog thread. No pics on camera system! Drove a Durango for three weeks in Costa Rica btw. Great car!!

Comment

Originally posted by bes51659 View Post
                              In Sweden it is required to have a side mirror on the driver side (which I want to keep anyway), but not on the passanger side. The ceiling one I do'no. What if you've got an estate or lorry full of stuff, and can't use it anyway?

Had a look thru your worklog thread. No pics on camera system! Drove a Durango for three weeks in Costa Rica btw. Great car!!
                              I'll get some pics, I actually pulled the system out because I needed to make a special switching module to get it into 3 way mode and I am having issues with it.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X