Custom Buttons - Custom Physical Plastic Buttons to controll CarPC via I/O

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Buttons - Custom Physical Plastic Buttons to controll CarPC via I/O

Hey all I wasnt sure where to put it either into fabrication or to IO forum so I ended up here.

I have full carPC proto up and running im my car but stock radio is still woking as primary audio source, I dont want to remove stock radio caz it has physical buttons (not a touch screen) so i can actually controll it even whlile going 60mph (try to do that with touch screen and not to crush)

So I decided to do custom either micro pannel or 1 Din thingie that would have my buttons and it will look perfecly in my car or in any other car.

Now I have a modeler who can do the design of the button pannel, I also foumd casting guys that will do actuall molding of the buttons (yey any one want to have a gold buttons ;-) that gona be easy and real cool) Now the only problem non of us have any experiance doing actuall pannels. (Im really combining juverly business to a car business) So if some one has any tips, i'm listening.

In any even to start with something I wrote a small app to chack the proto posibbilitues.

bellow on pix you can see my APP controlling Pause / resume / play functionality of WinAmp with two phisical buttons. I can also pull out the song info and output it on the LCD (dot lcd) screen

Bottom line:
    If you are interested in the project please let me know. If you have any ideas on fabrication this please let me know. If you one one button set for yourself please let me know (they will be expansive, but i still want them

Attached Files
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
    3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

how does it connect to the computer? via usb??

Comment

yes usb controller, u can use any available such as phydgets fusionbrain or you can do your custom one.
      3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

Very nice!

Perhaps a mini tutorial on how you accomplished that?
        Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

um tutorial ... thats possible.. I think posting my program would be much more useful ;-)

Comment

what items did you use and what did u use for programming it

Comment

"items"? um phydgets controller - LCD and I/O , radioshack buttons, some old box

software i wrote myself in VB.net

Comment

I love it, it is exactly what I was hoping to do.

If you get the chance, PM me with any info, or the code if you are willing to share. Set up tips, wiring diagrams, etc. would also be appreciated, since this aspect of PC integration is a little new to me.

Again, nice work!

Comment

Ok I will try to prepare detailed info

Comment

ok here is some diagrams
                    In order to get Resume / Pause functionality you need to connect Switch (Button) to Imput connectrors 0 and G (Ground), for play button fubctionality connect button to 1 and G terminals
                    Attached Files

Comment

TY, so instead of using a phidget, you could use a fusion brain instead?

Comment

well i can but I didn't play with their API yet.
                        but I say dont expact me to do that very quick. I'm ussually slow on switching technologies around

Comment

I was just thinking it through, I never worked with a phidget or a fusion brain yet, but I have a fusion brain I was going to tinker with soon.

I have read alot of the info and examples on the forums, but I just need to work with something in real-time vs. reading to learn better (learn by doing).

That's why I figured if I can use your concept to play with, I can carry it further down the learning curve. You have a phidget there in the pic, yes?

There is software needed too, yes?

Comment

yes you need my custom software. on pix is phydget 8/8/8
                            i can get access to fusion brain... i'll think about writing another app for FB too.

by the way, looked at your bezzle. how much did it cost you to pain texture over?

Comment

Originally posted by tempgp View Post
                              "items"? um phydgets controller - LCD and I/O , radioshack buttons, some old box

software i wrote myself in VB.net
                              hey did you have to program that LCD ?
                              I bought one for a transmission controller read-out and it just shows defaut screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X