Painting A Touchpad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting A Touchpad?

I was wondering if anyone knows if theres a way to paint the actual part of the touchpad you touch without making it unusable, i painted the case of mine and it looks pretty good, but people always ask me why the part you touch cant be painted, so i was just wondering if anyone had any idea.
    2008 Grand Prix GXP
    • Winbook TW801 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet
    • RF 3Sixty.3
    • 4ch Alpine on factory bi-amped Monsoon speakers
    • Directed HD-Radio
    • I need to post a built log

i don't think it should matter, try placing a piece of paper on the touch pad and see if cursor still moves. If it does than it should work.

BUT, the problem would be wear. Paint might come off after frequent use of the touchpad.

Have you consider using cellophane (or some opaque color film) to put over the touchpad area? Custom sticker maybe.

Comment

I "painted" mine with Vinyl Color (aka Vinyl Dye to those in the case modding scene), and I don't use it often, my Fellows touchpad still works perfectly. The only problem is that its flaking off the cord (I had to put it on thick to get it to cover the cord, and I'm not sure what type of plastic the cords made out of), just did some touchups with a black permanent marker .
      -Nick

Comment

i'd just use a semi-transparent sticker
        '98 Explorer Sport
        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
        80% done

Comment

MP3DUB,
          Krylon just came out with a new plastic paint that they said fuses with the plastic. It's supposed to withstand flaking or cracking. I used an RC car paint a long time ago for the lexan body once that did just that. It never came off or flaked. It was as if it was below the surface of the plastic after it dried.

The new paint they came out with is called 'Fusion'
          I was in Home Depot this morning and meant to check to see if it was in the stores but forgot.

- Jeff
          95 Mustang GT Convertible
          87 Mustang GT Convertible
          My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

I painted one with straight Dupli-Color spray paint... no problemo.

Comment

Try painting or printing on clear film and cover the film again to protect it from scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by mag2
                Try painting or printing on clear film and cover the film again to protect it from scratches.
                That's actually exactly what I did. I found out that the touchpad actually can work through pretty much everything. I ended up just painting it first, but I didn't like the way it felt when I used it, but It worked, so i went and found some clear stuff with sticker backing at the office store. It seemed a little thick, but i tried it anyway. It works just as good as it did with nothing on it. I guess if it was in my house and I used it for more than clicking big buttons, I might notice some screwyness. It looks pretty good too, no more people at the car shows telling me that it throws the whole intergrated look of the car down the crapper.
                2008 Grand Prix GXP
                • Winbook TW801 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet
                • RF 3Sixty.3
                • 4ch Alpine on factory bi-amped Monsoon speakers
                • Directed HD-Radio
                • I need to post a built log

Comment

I ripped a pad apart once. The pcb underneath is a bunch od traces in a grid pattern so I assume it works by change in capacitance or inductance as your finger moves across it. The covering isn't needed so you could peel it off and put another on if you wanted too.

Comment

Good point!!

Comment

I just realized something.........you can't assign a place on the touchpad to an icon.

When you move a cursor around using touchpad and then you take your finger off, when you come back to the touchpad again, you can place your finger anywhere on the touchpad and it will pick-up the cursor where it left off. So placing a sticker on a touchpad and assigning icons to certain areas won't work. Does anybody agree here.....?

However it's still would work well as small input device.
                      I'm currently searching for a wireless one, so far found one for +-$239.00 ....WOW...sticker ....shock.

Comment

it comes down to the touchpad and the drivers. To do what you want to do, the touchpad/drivers would have to support it. I cant say I've come across a standalone touchpad that can do that, but I know touchpads on laptops can in some models.
                        -Nick

Comment

Touch Pad Paint

I was glad to find these posts about painting the touch pad. I did the test with paper and it still navigates well. So I will be looking for a color match and paint a small area at first to see if my touch pad still responds. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X