Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried hooking up a notebook touchpad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried hooking up a notebook touchpad?

Something like

this?

or this?

not quite sure why you'd even want to bother when Fellowes makes one like this or this.

Or

and

Comment

I use the first one ddt posted.. works great.
      aka Kumaneko
      "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
      Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
      Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

I am in the process of building my system, and I am using the same touchpad you have a link for. The one for the compaq armada. all you realy have to do is figure out the pin outputs for it and connect it to an ps/2 port and it works without a problem. The reason I got this touchpad is because the plastic molding around the touchpad is just like the plastic molding in my car. I plan to mount it in my console for that stock look

Comment

I have the same spare touch pad off my notebook. It would be nice to say buy a $2 usb cable and wire it in somehow...
          Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

IBM style Trackpoint

Rather than using a touchpad, I prefer the IBM style TrackPoint ...
            Of course, rather than try to destroy an IBM laptop, I figured, this would be an easier install: Trackpoint

Figured it would be nice to include a picture :-)

Comment

i also have a copmpaq touch pad module wich would be great to find a pin out for
              WINNER!!!!
              run-on sentance comp 2002!!
              :)

Comment

Re: IBM style Trackpoint

Originally posted by albrandwood
                Rather than using a touchpad, I prefer the IBM style TrackPoint ...
                Of course, rather than try to destroy an IBM laptop, I figured, this would be an easier install: Trackpoint

Did you get it to work yet?
                2000 Grand Prix GTP
                667 mHz PC | 512 PC 700 | DVD | ATI All-In-Wonder | 100 Gig HD | 7" LCD

Comment

Re: Re: IBM style Trackpoint

Originally posted by Asok
                  Did you get it to work yet?
                  I've got it working in a test environment ...

I don't (yet) have it working in a live environment, since I'm in the process of replacing my truck ........

@shley

Comment

What about wiring the trackpad to a serial port? My SBC only has 1 PS/2 port and then 1 or 2 serial ports.

Comment

Sorry about the revival of such an old thread but i was wondering if it would be worth me getting my hands on a trackpad from a bettered notebook as i had aspirations of setting one into a nice surround on the dash

how do you go about wiring the thing up, does it essentially have the same wiring as a PS2 mouse for X/Y co-ordinates and 2 mouse clicks?
                      www.streetrace.co.uk - The UK's best modified car club (With lots of 16/17/18 year olds for scouse to abuse)

Comment

usually yes, the wiring is the same as a ps2 mouse, i've hooked up two, however i know some people who have messed witha couple and could not get them to work....dont know if they were doing something wrong
                        PC Components:
                        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                        My work log

Comment

Thats sweet then, will it be using all 6 PS2 wires so i could just have off the cord to an old mouse, get the soldering iron out and e'voila ??
                          www.streetrace.co.uk - The UK's best modified car club (With lots of 16/17/18 year olds for scouse to abuse)

Comment

i believe only 4 pins are used, a power a ground and 2 datas, not sure of the exact details
                            PC Components:
                            Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                            My work log

Comment

i am planning on including the trackpads control buttons so the other two will be left and right click

Comment

Working...
                              X