Need help with touch screen!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with touch screen!

I bought a Jensen 7" motorized touch screen multimedia reciever for my car and the unit stopped working...the touch screen still works though. I was wanting to take it apart and use the screen as a VGA touch screen. Only problem is that the reviever wasnt made to plug a VGA into it. Is there a way that i can make this happen?

what kind of connector does it use? If its rca you could use a cheesebox, but more than likely its some proprietary ribbon, in which case you'd need to find a pin-out to see what you could do with it
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I havent taken it apart yet. i want it to work like a normal VGA touch screen would if possible. here are some pics.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good luck w/ that.

There is someone who did this w/ a Kenwood unit, and posted a how-to.
        There was some reverse-engineering involved, as I recall.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

well it appears you have composite connections (yellow video cable). Provided you have the ability to switch the device to Video1 through the monitor, you would need to purchase a cheesebox to convert that to a vga signal. Be warned though the resolutions will be limited and the quality will suffer when compared to a true VGA screen.
          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

will i be able to control the mouse and other functions by touching the screen like a reguar VGA touch screen? my vision i have is to take the whole screen out and make a fiberglass enclosure for it and mount it somewhere in my car. didnt know if i made that clear...

Comment

@DarquePervert do you know where i can find the how-to that you mentioned?

Comment

You need to take it apart and look. It's busted already, anyhow, right? So, you can't bust it any more by taking it apart.

You'll need to look at the ribbon cable that goes from the touch screen to the electronics inside. Likely what you'll find is something like a plug on the main board that the ribbon connects to. The controller for the touch screen will most likely be integrated into that board, making it impossible to use for a PC.

In which case, you'll need to purchase a USB controller for the touch screen PROVIDED that the touch screen is the standard 4 or 5 wire resistive type. You won't know until you get in there.

A new touchscreen and USB controller can be had for about $60 on ebay if you look hard enough.

If you are successful, in the end, you'll have a sub-standard composite video display that will be blurry with text below about 14 points or so, washed out colors, and a hacked together touchscreen to control it.

That may be okay with you, or you may just want to budget for a real VGA touchscreen
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

well id really like a decent picture on the screen. is there anything i can do with it? i hate to just throw away a working touchscreen. ill post pics once i get it open...im just waiting to see if i can get my money back before i go ripping into it.

Comment

anything creative i can do with it?

Comment

im back

ok...its been awhile and i finally got tired of waiting and i tore it open. here it is...the ribbon on the left side of the last picture goes to the touch screen and connects to it. i wasnt sure if i could open up the back of the screen itself and find a place to connect some power and find a way to make an input for VGA. i also thought it might be cool to mount the screen in my car so that the motor still works and brings the screen out when i push the open button. i dont know if any of this is possible but it would be sweet. let me know!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Help!

Comment

Without high quality pictures, it'll probably be impossible for someone on the board to help you unless they've taken apart that exact unit. Nobody will be able to help you do all of what you want with it unless you know quite a bit about electronics and ask specific questions. Things like "it would be sweet to retain the motorized screen movement" won't happen.

It all looks pretty non-standard vs CarPC monitor innards, so I doubt you'll be able to use the screen for anything.
                          Tidder

Try RevFE
                          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

ill figure something out

Comment

i would just buy a new motorized touch screen and use that one if u get to work as a second monitor
                              01 Burb
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-suburban.html

Comment

Working...
                              X