Making a wireless touch screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a wireless touch screen?

I was just wondering if anyone thought of making a wireless touch screen?

I had a thought of using a Lilliput 7 Inch USB Powered WVGA Touch Screen UM-70/C/T Monitor with a wireless usb hub and a 5v-12v rechargeable battery pack.

The rechargeable battery back can be wired to the wireless usb hub and the screen. The battery pack can be charged by USB as well.

It might be a nice idea, hard to package so it remains compact, but just wondering if anyone has done this or thought of something similar?

How is the video (VGA) signal going to get through wirelessly? Also, what is the purpose for this?

Comment

What?
      Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
      Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I guess you could use some kind of USB video card and hook it up with the wireless USB, dunno but the idea at least for right now sounds crazy
        MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

Mp3car did it about 2 years ago with a wireless VGA and hub. Check the videos in the blog page for details.

The issue is power. If the purpose of the wireless connection is to eliminate cables, you still need a power wire. Might as well go with a wire for USB.

The mp3 setup used a laptop battery.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

i have the wireless hub, and am working convincing myself to get the battery, and screen..my thread

that battery pack is 12v, so you would need a regulator to step it down..

there are plenty of 5v usb output battery packs(and my wireless hub is rated for [email protected]), that would mean less parts, and slightly easier integration-- basically, you would just need to hack up some usb cables to provide power to the hub

if you look at this trent brand unit near the bottom of my thread, it has 2 usb ports, so i could still come very close to keeping to usb specs, even while powering both devices..
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

I also tried the idea using a Mimo USB screen and wireless USB hub. The results where disastrous. It was easier just to put a touch screen in each seat and call it a day. Now if you want this to control the car from the outside, then simply use something like Windows Remote Desktop to control it from your phone. Unless its not a WinMo phone, then you could always just use LogMeIn.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I agree with its usefulness (not!).

But USB is the easy way to go - everything exists for it.

But to charge a battery for it..... the screen drain is bad enough!

PS - I just realized who.... Batteries are not good (efficient) power sources - but I think you are realising that.
                Plus a charge-discharge cycle for how many cycles before battery replacement?
                And for what? A heavy assembly instead of a few light cables?
                And if remote (location), low power is key hence cables - not wireless.
                Fine for a mobile kyb-screen whilst walking remote from the PC... Personally I'd get a wireless netbook...

Comment

Why don't you work on striking a multi billion dollar with http://www.powercastco.com/
                  those guys? Seems simple enough, one or two phone calls and a check and you go your self a wireless touch screen.

Comment

You could set up a Tesla coil in the trunk to power it
                    MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
                      Why don't you work on striking a multi billion dollar with http://www.powercastco.com/
                      those guys? Seems simple enough, one or two phone calls and a check and you go your self a wireless touch screen.
                      OMG, Thats scary..... In the process he'll probably kill everyone that comes near the car.

Originally posted by david69leonard View Post
                      You could set up a Tesla coil in the trunk to power it
                      The Tesla coil looked pretty cool, but again, its scary.
                      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Yeah - I love the RF beaming - it reminds me of how microwave ovens were discovered (allegedly). And of a recent ad for engineers to design an energy device that captured GSM (cell phone) radiation....

But if you use Tesla's system, you could have free airconditioning as well. And maybe eliminate obstacles in car parks, and roads.

Comment

I just liked the idea. I was wondering if anyone else had tried doing. Soundman, let me know how it goes. I had a tablet that I cant fix, so the idea comes from there. A real tablet with winxp, not an android os. I thought that having a wireless input device with it's own screen could be beneficial. I'm sure there are people who don't think so and wouldn't even think of trying it but sometimes novelty has it's own weight.

HiJack, what happened that was disastrous?

Comment

i am not even sure if i am going to go through with it--at this point, i am reconsidering scrapping the idea-- hijacks unfortunate experience, and the fact that the entire project would have a roughly $250 price tag for something that i don't necessarily need, and might not even use much once complete...this is where the lifespan of li-po packs come in-- i might only use it a couple of times before i need to replace the pack..

honestly, car projects are starting to become less important at the moment-- i have a company car, so my personal vehicle (the one with the carpc) has ended up sitting in the garage for weeks, even months at a time..

there is also the estimated size-- with the wireless hub, and battery, using my current idea, the screen assembly could end up being as much as 3-4" thick... on the back of a 7" screen, that is not something that could be easily handled..

optical--(i realize your being sarcastic, but i am going to approach it constructively) i didn't know that they finally started producing those chips--i remember reading about the military doing testing on the idea a couple of years ago, but don't remember much about it finally reaching production.

while i am not sure that this is the best application of this, i think that it is a great start to getting devices that are not only getting data from "the cloud," but also power!!
                            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

I still don't get the point. Is that to use a 7" laying around? I would just stuck it into a headrest instead.

If not, isn't it better to just buy an old used tablet PC on ebay? Or that wal-mart Android tablet, there was a thread about it somewhere?

I still don't get the purpose of this, sorry.
                              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Working...
                              X