What USB hub do you use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What USB hub do you use

What hub are you currently using, are you happy with the product.
    I am looking for one and not sure what to get.

I downloaded the tapatalk app and returns no results when searching USB hub. Odd

the carnetix one is one model, otherwise, it is whatever you can power in-car..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I like the Ram Tough Hub.
      1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Diito on the Ram Hub. It's expensive but worth the money. Adjustable Auto shutoff and easy to power. It takes 12v so no PITA trying to figure out how to use a 5v typical hub for home use how to power that and how to make sure devices are properly shut off with no power draw when shut down.

I think it has 7 ports so good expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by -zip-; 07-24-2011, 10:09 PM.
        2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
        2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
        Sound Stage
        Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Considering I just paid for a 12V PSU that has auto-off and all, I don't think I need it in my hub. Are there any basic 2.0 or 3.0 hubs that will take filtered 12v?

I don't have 3.0 yet, but hope to upgrade the PSU later so was thinking of getting a 3.0 hub now just to future-proof a little. I may use the USB for video capture on multiple cameras, so the 3.0 would help bandwidth a little.
          Zotac H55-ITX w/ 802.11n WiFi, i3-550/3.20GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 120G Intel SSD, P2140,
          7" pseudo-transflective resistive TS, Win7-64, Centrafuse 4.3, Elmscan Compact 6, BU-353, Rear camera, Trailer camera

Comment

I'm way too cheap to pay that much for it. I did see a Cool Gear 4 port hub on Amazon for $47, but that seems like too much money too.

(still looking...)
            Zotac H55-ITX w/ 802.11n WiFi, i3-550/3.20GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 120G Intel SSD, P2140,
            7" pseudo-transflective resistive TS, Win7-64, Centrafuse 4.3, Elmscan Compact 6, BU-353, Rear camera, Trailer camera

Comment

Buy generic 5v powered USB hub and a 5V LDO (Low Drop Out) Voltage Regulator (probably 1A or more). Hardwire the USB hub to the 5v VReg and to a switched wire in the vehicle.

Comment

I spent another hour or two shopping last night and finally ordered a hub.
                Since I have an unused output on my almost-here CNX-P2140 that I don't yet need, I'm going to set it to 5v and use a standard 7 port 2.0 hub. If/when I need that output at 12v (my longer range plans), I'll get one of those Current Logic 5V 5A supplies with the big heat sink on them for $14.50.

Total invested: $38.50, and I'll have a 5V source I can use with for other things as needed.

It's not that I'm cheap really, it's just that I can't stand to pay too much.

Comment

I used the cheapest 5v hub I could find and just added it as an accessory to my dc-dc power supply. What you've got planned should work fine.

Comment

I tried a couple of el cheapo hubs but had some oddities with them. Now I use the D-link DUB-H7 7-port hub and power it from my M2-ATX. Works like a champ.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...772&CatId=4756
                    Zotac N630I-D-E M/B w/ Nvidia 7100, E5300 cpu, Xenarc 700IDT, M2-ATX, XP, RR & DFX 5.1.

Comment

hey ive tried a few different hubs and none of them seem to work... the one that came with my kit when i bought my carpc didnt work i bought one that did not have a power cable (powered by usb) and did not work, but now I have a Digi 4 port 12v usb hub and it seems like it works only for certain things i dont know if its because i have it on a usb extension cord so it can be in the glove box

is it ok the have a usb hub connected with an usb extension cable??
                      M350 Black case | Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 MB | Intel Dual Core 2.93ghz | GeIL 4gb (2x2) DDR3 | M4-ATX
                      inside of my
                      2005 Acura RSX Type S
                      Hooked up to
                      Alpine type-r all around + Infinity Basslink

Comment

Go back to Basics, how do they work when plugged directly into the PC.

That answers the question about the “quality” or “lack of” the extension lead.

I have two no name 4 port units plugged into the end of a 16 foot cable with every port used and no external power supply.
                        I use a very good quality thick extension lead with meaty supply lines and really good screening, from Jaycar as I remember.

I also use a 15 foot repeater extension for the USB GPS receiver.
                        Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

Do u have alink to the hubs u are using? I would like to not have to power up t he hub and cant seem to get any of them working.. i have a decent size gold plated usb extension but if u could point me to the one you are using that would be great too!

Also could it be the motherboard? I forget the model i know its a gigabyte something-usb3.0 but when i get home from work ill post it and it is being powered by m4-atx and the ps is wired with 12awg, is that good enough for the m4-atx? I was planning to buy some thicker wire but just havent gotten around to it

Also could it be because i may be using up all watts on my ps?

Thanks for the input
                          M350 Black case | Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 MB | Intel Dual Core 2.93ghz | GeIL 4gb (2x2) DDR3 | M4-ATX
                          inside of my
                          2005 Acura RSX Type S
                          Hooked up to
                          Alpine type-r all around + Infinity Basslink

Comment

No hub and no USB devices... But my install is simple compared to most.
                            TruckinMP3
                            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                            X