RF or Infrared?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RF or Infrared?

Which kind of wireless keyboard will work better in the car?

RF or Infrared? thanks
    92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

get RF I use infrared and I hate it.
    What im curently listening to.
    My complete carpc setup

Comment

yes, get RF. I had IR in my truck, and I vowed to get RF next time.

I found a cheap one here

Did some googling and found that it IS ACTUALLY RF.

There is a keyboard out there that it IR, but the model name is RF-something, so you have to be careful about these things.
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

for the moment i have a corded KB but i was thinking about IR for the flexibility. the hardest part is running the wires. My HU has it own IR remote and with a IR keyboard you can program short cut keystrokes into a programable remote and cover both HU control and limited PC control. If you really need to data entry then you can breakout the keyboard.

Has anyone else tried this approach?
        1999 Ford Contour SVT
        Via M9000

Comment

I just got a gyration wireless keyboard and gyro mouse at best buy for 99.95. It works awesome, at least 30 ft range, RF. And its small enough to put anywhere.

Dave
          Old School MP3CAR.com member!

Comment

my keyboard I dont think this one should be too bad..............you? I havent received it yet though
            92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

I have the same keyboard as guitar. It works pretty well in the car, but the track ball feels a bit cheap. Comes in very handy when the touchscreen just wont cut it. I keep mine under the passenger's seat.

I have an ir remote for my desktop. The range/angle makes it a little annoying. I wouldn't recommend it for a car application.
              -TJ
              Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
              CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
              Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

So do you guys that use a keyboard and mouse... corded/infrared/rf... whatever... Do you use these instead of touchscreen? or as an addition to touchscreen??

I guess I am wondering if touch without anything else is do-able

Comment

I am setting up my system with all the gizmos, and of course I have a touchscreen (or 2... but the in-dash model isn't available for sale yet) I've tried doing normal things with it, and all you are really limited from is typing. The on screen keyboard with windows is a total pain. If you just want to control your mp3 player or navigation system, you can do great with just a touchscreen.
                  Old School MP3CAR.com member!

Comment

Working...
                  X