auto off for lcd panel question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto off for lcd panel question

So ive trying to figure out how to best auto off my display without just killing the power as im not a big fan of just pulling the plug.....looking to convert the loss of 12v on a wire probably one from my startup/shutdown relay,to a momentary resistive button press...any thoughts?? I can think of mechanical ways but im sure there is a electrical way to accomplish this task
    Last edited by camo.b; 08-29-2013, 06:18 AM.

Just cut the power to the screen.
    The power button on the monitor does the same thing anyway.

You could achieve what you're describing with a relay, I suppose, but ultimately, the solution will involve severing power to the screen.

My suggestion is to keep it simple.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I've had a few screen driver boards die from heat and other mysterious things so I'm trying to be very kind to this one.I was really hoping to put it to sleep using the provided power button and its standby circuit.somthing of a overide so I can still use the power button

Comment

Arduino mabee? Could set it up for a few other automated tasks I guess....auto dim the display with headlights
        Last edited by camo.b; 08-29-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I tend to agree with Darque.

Dying from heat is not related to how it's turned off.
          And screens do not have firmware etc that require graceful power offs.

Besides, "browning out" a power supply is quite often damaging. Power breaks should be clean (and for a long enough duration).

Comment

Yep dead from heat was a 45c day,full sun and left on all day..lcd survived tho..just kill the power that's almost too easy...is that how everyone does it? I've always just let mine go into standby...just this one shows a blue screen for 10secs then shuts down....can't stand it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by camo.b View Post
              Yep dead from heat was a 45c day,full sun and left on all day..lcd survived tho..just kill the power that's almost too easy...is that how everyone does it? I've always just let mine go into standby...just this one shows a blue screen for 10secs then shuts down....can't stand it any longer
              The screen itself doesn't have "standby" mode.
              It's either on or off.

Most screens have some pattern or message that displays when there is no video signal. But the screen is still in the ON state.
              What you're describing is the screen that displays when there is no signal, as the screen usually stops displaying that after a short period.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Use for input the led "PowerOn" by mainboard.
                See the schematic...with C and NA by relay power you display.
                The display have cutoff the power immediatly the PC is off.
                And not "no VGA signal" if PC is off.
                Attached Files

Comment

So i redid the power feed to the lcd and it now works a treat...untill you start/resume the carpc and you see the blue screen again!!!!dam its bright....thinking delayed startup now,,,but how...mabee the anti thump circuit from the psu??? I need about a 5~10 sec delay

Sent from my GT-N8020

Comment

Optimize this simple circuit.
                    Add a R + led , this solve eventually autostart of relay.

Add a simple NE555 circuit for temporize the time...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mauri; 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

So will that work for a delayed startup and instant shutdown

Comment

Use for sample one simple startup with delay circuit, and a NE555
                        google search:
                        https://www.google.it/search?q=NE555...icial&tbm=isch

Delay for power monitor and cutpower (my schematic v2 above) at hibernate.

Or switch whit uP circuit for all function.
                        Last edited by mauri; 09-04-2013, 02:42 AM.

Comment

I started ordering some parts then I found a pre built 12v adj startup delay board...it was $2.50with shipping....so I got 3.will see how it performs.thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X