Looking for a 802.11b PCI card with external Antenna port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a 802.11b PCI card with external Antenna port

As title says. I've been looking around google and Ebay, and havnt found any PCI cards that support external antenna. Anyone know any?

Cisco is the one your looking for

This is the only 802.11b adapter that I know on the market that supports external antena's. here is the model # Cisco Systems Cisco Aironet 350 . You may want to look on ebay first to see if u can get it cheap.. I know this aint no cheap adapter.
    --- XMP Project ---
    Intraplex Latte P4 - Mini PC
    ICOM PCR100 - AM/FM
    Sony Ext DVD
    Xenarc - 700TS
    WinTV FM USB Adapter
    Pioneer IR Steering Wheel Rmote
    ** Software:
    CoPilot 2003, ShowShifter Pro, Dragon VR, Communicate.

Comment

ORiNOCO 11a/b/g PCI Card

this card should work for what you want. it comes with an external antenna. here is a site with some more info about it. h**p://www.orinocowireless.com/products/all/orinoco/client/11abgpci/index.html

Comment

All the orinoco/proxim/cisco/etc (ie they're all identical, just rebranded) cards should have an external connector on the end.
        -Nick

Comment

For a cheap and easily availabe option, the DLink DWL-520+ has an external connector
          90% Done
          60W DC-DC & shutdown controller
          Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup
          Rockfors 400s 400W amp,2x 10" Rockford Subs, Sony CDX M730 Head unit
          All in a shiny White 2000 V6 Mustang
          Click here to visit my NEW PhotoAlbum

Comment

Umm, don't all 802.11x card's have externals? My Linksys does.. And according to a guide at THG (Don't trust them for product benchmarks.. They sold out a LONG time ago - Their office is ON the Intel campus!!) you can add an antenna to nearly any card.. Or perhaps I'm way off.
            1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Most PCMCIA Cards have some type of antenna connector, yes. But PCI cards are different. The DWL-520+ card i recommended is a mini-pci wireless card on a mini-pci to pci adapter board with the antenna connector run to the backplane.
              90% Done
              Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup

Comment

plus for good wifi use.. you want one to plug in an external antena to get better reciption.
                '98 Explorer Sport
                http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                80% done

Comment

I would have sworn that you could add a external antenna to almost any PCI WiFi adaptor, being they all have the universal external connection.. Guess I was wrong though, as I didn't even find it in the 802.11 article @ THG.. Here is some stuff to improve your AP though! I'll get back to you all with a link to a $30 802.11b card with a ~6 foot external antenna.. I have to search my chat logs, this could be a while!
                  1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Ooh, $30 sounds tempting!
                    90% Done

Comment

Thanks guys.

The Dlink 520+ looks cheap (in a good way), only it has that little knobby antenna which hangs out the back. No port from what I've found. But they also sell for 23.99+shipping on Ebay. So I may consider getting one and hacking up the antenna.

My original plan was Orinoco (or other rebrand), but all models I found require a PC card > PCI adapter to use. Which is an extra $35-$50.

The Aironet looks decent. But a little spendy.

Should have added a little background to my inquiry. I have an old car, 73 Dodge Dart. The radio antenna is bent, and needs replaced anyway. So I found a couple 12b+ WiFI antennas that look about right .. Should be easy with a little modding.

Checking out THG now . lots of good info.

Comment

http://store.yahoo.com/sohowaredirect/ncp130.html - $30
                        http://store.yahoo.com/sohowaredirect/gw9126pci.html - $60

Enjoy!
                        1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

The 520+ antenna screws off the back, i will get you some pics when i get home
                          90% Done

Comment

Perfect. I think I found my adapter then. Thanks!

Comment

sure thing
                              90% Done

Comment

Working...
                              X