BMW controller...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW controller...

has anyone got some detailed pictures of that bmw idrive thingy? i had a search on the net, but cant really find any good ones...

And, has anyone ever used one? Want to know how good they are. My (mebbe slightly wacked) idea is to mill one out of aluminium, and use microswitchs with that serial controller thing (sorry bout description, but i saw it in one of the other threads, and for the life of me, i cant find it now).
    92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
    Morex 80W
    120G External HDD
    16x2 Charater Display
    Creative IR Remote
    VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
    7.2Ah SLA Tank
    PCMCIA 802.11b
    256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

What I would suggest you do, if you want to make one, is look at mounting on Arcade spinner, with a button on top, then mount the spinner on top of a very short arcade joystick (old fashioned pacman type stubby one) cover the whole think with a sprung milled cover, so it looks like one large knob, then you have twist, directions, and click.

The whole thing can be interfaced through the stuff you can buy to build a PC based arcade cabinet emulator.
    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

where would i find stuff like that? yea, i was thinking about the small joystick type thing.
      92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Morex 80W
      120G External HDD
      16x2 Charater Display
      Creative IR Remote
      7.2Ah SLA Tank
      PCMCIA 802.11b
      256DDR Ram

Comment

have a search through the site. Can't remember the URLs off the top of my head, but I recall posting links to arcade stuff myself.
        4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

http://www.happcontrols.com

Comment

the bmw controller... the rotation part of it, is it an unlimited rotation or is it just a twist and return to centre???
            im still thinking of making own interface with computer, but not sure if i am better off hacking an old keyboard, or just going through the serial port...
            92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Morex 80W
            120G External HDD
            16x2 Charater Display
            Creative IR Remote
            7.2Ah SLA Tank
            PCMCIA 802.11b
            256DDR Ram

Comment

Serial would be your best. Don't know about the BMW, but if you make it one full twist (or just slightly less in actual fact) it will be easier. Because then you could use high (fully one way) and low (fully the other way) voltages to show extremes of contol. You would just need calibrate the center position, but that is all. And just less than one full circle means you get to use wireing instead of having to locate sliprings for any switches on top.
              4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

The bmw I-Drive spins fully with unlimited rotation and has very subtle jogs (like your mouse wheel)

I presume the jogs are to prevent it from spinning when you go into a turn. It has a little bit of resistance. Every time it jogs, it changes the selection one increment, again like a mouse wheel. It's a dial but it works like three buttons, again, just like a mose wheel.. Jog left, jog right, press.

Come to think of it, you could probably steel the wheel mechanism out of a mouse and mount it in the dash to get similar functionality without taking up the huge amount of space that the i-drive piece of crap uses. BTW, it sucks
                MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
                See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
                Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
                Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
                BMW I-Bus Integration
                My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

hmmm yea.... mounting it is gunna be prob no 2.

oh crap... had a bad thought.... where i gunna mount it? i gotta right hand drive subaru legacy.... means if its in the middle im gunna haveta use left hand....and im right handed. Bugger. need to think about that.
                  anyone ever tried using one with left hand???

i was thinking of trying to get a rotary switch, that is like momentaily on, so its a twist and release to return to center.
                  starting to draw it all up at the moment, before making it.

welllllll..... if its so crap.... may have to try somthing else.... I saw that commercial one someone had a thread about, but really want to have more control in the one device, i.e left/right/up/down/click(maybe 2 buttons???)/twist left/twist right
                  also too much $$$$

------------------------------------------------
                  Check out the subaru at www.nzassassin.cjb.net
                  Started collecting stuff for proj...
                  Currently have Intel p2 350Mhz
                  Onboard video, usb...
                  Has 2channel s/card, 10/100LAN
                  92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Morex 80W
                  120G External HDD
                  16x2 Charater Display
                  Creative IR Remote
                  7.2Ah SLA Tank
                  PCMCIA 802.11b
                  256DDR Ram

Comment

Well, Im in the UK, so RHD too. I'm right handed, and managed to get used to using a minitrackball with a trigger button with my left hand no probs.

Wouldn't do it while on the move mind, on when stationary, but a spinner/stick might be easier, if the application could be programmed to accept the input like arrow keys across buttons
                    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Good location for pointing stick

I don't know about your cars, but a lot of cars have a location similar to the one in the photos below that is PERFECT for a pointing stick or integrated mini-trackball controller. The pointing device could be located on top of the handle, and the buttons could be located under the handle to be triggered with the fingers as demonstrated. I took these on my passenger's side for you UK'ers. My driver's side has a mirror switch as shown that would have to be relocated to make room for a pointing stick (though both devices could still be in the same space)

This idea could easily work for right-handed UK folks or left handed US folks providing your car has a suitable location.

The mirror switch on my drivers side door handle (left):

The blank on the passenger's side (right):

The hand position to use a device mounted here:
                      MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
                      See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
                      Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
                      Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
                      BMW I-Bus Integration
                      My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Working...
                      X