Xenarc 7" TouchScreen Under Mac OS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc 7" TouchScreen Under Mac OS

Anyone had any luck using the Xenarc (EELY) touchscreen under any version of Mac OS?

thanks for any help,
    M

Why would you want to do that? It should be easy tho, being OS X is *BSD based, you could compile a *BSD driver for it and re-compile X to work with it.. Just like in Linux/*BSD!
    1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

bw, is there anyone w/ a CarMac?
      some pics would be nice
      Current Status: For Sale

Specs
      - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
      - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
      - DeLorme GPS (sold)
      - Power Inverter (sold)
      - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

There is someone that has a mac laptop stashed in the car, connected to a docking station(!). Can't recall who though...

C!
        http://carpc.riposte.net
        I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

I have a mac-based setup in my '95 tahoe.

I don't have a website yet and I had posted some pictures to the board, but they don't show up anymore.

You can see one picture here.

http://www.upstairsefx.com/mactahoe/carputer2.jpg

By the way, there are drivers for the eely controller that work with OSX, but they are veery expensive (the developer has a driver that is universal, but wants $200 for it!!)

BTW, the mac is great for car use, especially the laptops as they wake up in seconds and OSX has good software for music and DVD. I have had a mac in my truck for about 3 years now and it works very well.

I run windows under emulation for GPS. You can see copilot running on the LCD screen in the center and the GPS on the dashboard.

Comment

>SiGmA_X wrote:
            >Why would you want to do that?

SiGmA_X, I don't understand your question...

Thanks Wally - I did contact Dave at Touch-Base and got some eval OS X drivers, but I'm still looking for OS 9 drivers that work with the serial version of the touchscreen I have. I did call EELY (yes, on the telephone) and they said they would send me (yes, by US Mail) some serial drivers that work with 9 - but I have a feeling they're gonna be the USB drivers.
            BTW - after reading this forum I have come up with a lot of ideas to add to my home control system - ie: sync my iTunes library with my Jeep when I pull in the driveway, get the GPS track so I can view it on any TP in the house (glad I don't have a wife), send forecasts and tide charts to it in the morning - start it - track my mileage and notify me of service intervals - all from my web site...
            Got your copy of Frontier yet

thanks!
            Lat-
            M

Comment

Why are you using a Mac? You could get a faster, cheaper i368 box to use instead.. I used to be a hardcore Macie, until I found Linux and used it instead of OS X on my iMac. Then I needed more speed, so I bought a custom AMD-based i386 box to run Linux. I have WinXP on there now because of some 802.11g support issues, but am going to go back to Linux in a little while - setting up my in-room network again to work how I want it to.

What is a "TP in the house"? Also, how do you plan on doing mileage? I thought that the OBD-II codes for tank level were not released..?
              1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

I use a mac because I like the interface, because it wakes up very quickly, because we have tons of them in my company and because I just like it. As faster machines come out, the slower ones trickle down to other uses such as my car!

I see a lot of posts about dealing with power supplies and ground loops and hibernation and other problems on the pc side so I feel the mac does a pretty good job of it.

That's why I like it.

Comment

and a touchscreen is great since you only need the one button

Comment

Originally posted by fredenfromswede
                    ... get the GPS track so I can view it on any TP in the house (glad I don't have a wife
                    Toilet paper?

C!

Comment

SiGmA_X - asking why I'm using a Mac is like asking why you're driving a Jetta.

I'll get the mileage from the GPS - but I have been told I can get it directly from the Jeeps chip with the right cable (believe that when I see it).

And yes - C4M guessed it - I will be able to view all my tracks on Toilet Paper, but it will probably be pretty messy - want me to post some pics
                      TouchPanel - TP stands for Touchpanel - I use to be in the Crestron world of home automation and that's what all the cool kids called them...

Comment

And yes - C4M guessed it - I will be able to view all my tracks on Toilet Paper, but it will probably be pretty messy - want me to post some pics
                        TouchPanel - TP stands for Touchpanel - I use to be in the Crestron world of home automation and that's what all the cool kids called them...
                        Sorry I was having a Beavis & Butthead moment.

Comment

[A]sking why I'm using a Mac is like asking why you're driving a Jetta.
                          Oh, so you got your Mac free? Makes sence now, buying one is a waste
                          I'll get the mileage from the GPS - but I have been told I can get it directly from the Jeeps chip with the right cable (believe that when I see it).
                          I think you can via OBD-II, but I have heard that the codes used might not allow you direct or easy access to mileage info. I know that you can get speed tho, which sounded easy. I want tank level and useage and the like as well
                          Originally posted by wallyworld
                          I see a lot of posts about dealing with power supplies and ground loops and hibernation and other problems on the pc side so I feel the mac does a pretty good job of it.
                          So you blame a i386 box because it's PSU, just like an Apple boxes PSU, has ground loop problems.. Sounds logical to me.. Hibernation and driver support is another issue, and I am guessing Mac's would not have the problem because of the moduler *BSD driver support, just like my Linux doesn't have.
                          1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

I don't know if the reference to getting the mac for free was directed at me, but I can tell you nothing is free in life. I own the company, therefore I paid for the machine at some point and I decide when a machine trickles down to where I can use it for other things.

The ground loop problems are non-existent when you use a laptop, which is what I'm using. I imagine a destkop would have the same issues. There was no blame, BTW, just facts.

The hibernation issues are also very different. It's not so much because it's related to BSD, but because they paid special attention to this matter. An OSX laptop can wake up and be playing music in about 1-2 seconds.

Comment

Wally, the free mac was not directed at you, as the quote was from fredenfromswede. And my car is 100% free to get because my parents paid for everything envolving it, not me. At all.

Agreed.

I would disagree and say this is more or less because *BDS does it that way Your Mac won't be backing up 100% of your RAM onto the HDD like a Windows box will, but rather just the used sections - I beleive. I might be wrong. Windows backs up the max of RAM even if you are using only 80MB. This is something that sucks, and is because of the platform.. A better OS (*BSD, Linux, etc) will just do what you tell it to, as does your comp - It uses what it needs not more, as X is not bloated like Winblows..
                              1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Working...
                              X