Mobile internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile internet

I heard that some people used their cell phones to access the internet on their carputers.........

Does anyone use it on verizon's network?

How well does it work(any brand)?
    My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Yes you can use virtually all digital cellphone services to access the internet as long as you have the data plain. Speed and overall cost is what you should look for. I use Sprint Vision. Max sustained transfer speed is around 130K-144K. Burst goes as high as 170kbps but rarely. I've heard lots of people claim that Verizon max out at 144K also but usually connects at 70k-100kbps. GPRS services like T mobile max out at 56K. I really hope Cingular would get their asses together and build a network that sustains at 360k or faster so I can dump my Sprint.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

cingular has other problems to deal with.

Get a WiFi transiever and surf for free when you pull up next to starbucks and stuff?

Comment

Mugu, WiFi cant get you online if you're not near an access point. I travel ALOT. The only way I can get internet access at the I-5 and 99 junction in SoCal is with a cellphone not WiFi. IF you dont know where that is, it looks much like vcbb's avatar.
        If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

I have a T-mobile Treo 270 PDA phone, specifically bought to access the internet with their "high speed", $29 unlimited data plan. It's still so slow, that if you try to get directions off mapquest, you're already there by the time the map arrives. This is depressing.

I hear that the G3 cellular service happening now in Europe and Japan is supposed to be the hot ticket. I suppose that next to the 14.4k modem service we have, anything would look like hot stuff.

Mugu: don't you have to have an account set up on your charge card prior to accessing the Starbucks node? If not, I know where I'm parking at night.
          "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades"

VIA M-9000, C-134, 256 Mb, DVD-CD/RW, 60 Gb, XM-PCR Sat Radio, Linksys 802.11b, Street Atlas GPS, ReplacePCR XM s/w, Blaupunkt HU, Sony XPlode 5 ch/amp, Liliput 7" VGA

Comment

I dunno, car surfing is low on my priority of things to do though. Last thing i need is to be trying to respond to forums while driving at 100+mph.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting Wi-fi, but the whole "hotspot" thing is a turnoff for me. I want to be online constantly while I'm driving around town... I don't want it cutting on and off. And I don't want to park at a place just to use the internet. If I wanted to park, I'd just go home.

Comment

But when your in a different state, going home is too far :} Hotspots is better than driving 8 hours to go home!

Comment

Originally posted by mugu
                  But when your in a different state, going home is too far :} Hotspots is better than driving 8 hours to go home!
                  I still prefer cellphone internet over hotspots because I can get on the internet every single time no matter where I'm at. I still havent been able to connect to any access points or hot spots anywhere I go except my house and my brother's house. So, I'm gonna stick with what works for me. Are you guys able to connect to hot spots while driving say 40-70mph? Or do you have to park next to Star Bucks? Also What if there's a traffic jam and you're stuck driving at 2-5mph, are you able to get on the internet with hot spots?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if you're driving or parked. I remember articles about people doing "drive-by Wi-Fi" hunting.

Comment

you hot-spot guys just don't get it. there is a distinct advantage to having cell phone based internet access. If you don't understand what the advantage is ... just trust the guys who say it's handy.

vcbb ... do you know if sprint has any bluetooth enabled phones? I want one but haven't been able to get any goof info from their site, and I'm trying to avoid calling or going into a store to ask. I hate salespeople.
                      My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

idk, check out sprint's site maybe, i have verizon
                        My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

doh! sorry, i meant cproaudio ... he's the one that said he had sprint :-)

sprint's site is less than helpful as are most cell providers ...
                          My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

no Sprint bluetooth as of yet. Probably later on

Comment

Hay vcbb5, I have verizon and been doing exactly what you are asking about for some time. I'm using the LG 4400 to my carputer to connect to the internet. You have two choices to connect. With your current voice plan you can use there QNC service AKA quick to net to connect. The down fall with this is that your connection would be 14.8k but the good thing is that you don't have to pay extra for connect to the internet. Connecting at 14.8 is not as bad as it sounds. I've been using it with a software called venturi and it speeds it up to about 56k. The other rout is to subscribe to there express network which they say would give you speeds of 40-60k with bursting speeds of 140k. Venturi does not work to well with the express network. They have also just released a new wireless DSL service that they said would give you between 300-500k connection but it is only availible right now in San Deigo and Washington DC. This would be the S$#T when it becomes nation wide. Can somebody say good buy hotspots and wardriving!
                              Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
                              Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
                              zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
                              zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

Working...
                              X