Satellite TV inside your vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite TV inside your vehicle

This has got to be the next best thing ... http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/104/C2236/#

When will it be available here ?

Paul
    Sydney, Australia

I have a friend that has that already. He has so much money he doesn't know what to do with it, but it really sucks unless you're doing highway driving. If you are in a city or a road with a lot of hills the recepition sucks. Its great for tailgating though. All and all I don't think it is worth what he paid for but as time goes on the price will drop and hopefully the reciever gets smaller
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

(for tailgating I can use a regular dish)
      current projects

Comment

who the hell would want that big bastard on their car?
        Originally posted by menudude
        thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

There is a company or two the has that for cars. They look like you have skis on top of your roof in a box. I believe it runs around 2k in price.
          - Lwin M. Maung
          If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
            I have a friend that has that already. He has so much money he doesn't know what to do with it
            He can give me some in charity! He would get a sticker on my car with his name on it if he wanted to!

Originally posted by hijinks21
            I have a friend that has that already. He has so much money he doesn't know what to do with it, but it really sucks unless you're doing highway driving. If you are in a city or a road with a lot of hills the recepition sucks. Its great for tailgating though. All and all I don't think it is worth what he paid for but as time goes on the price will drop and hopefully the reciever gets smaller
            How come there is such big difference this reception and the one from regular GPS receiver-units?
            //Richie

My Nissan 200SX

Comment

It is not a GPS unit, it is a Phased Array (or the equivalent) satellite dish, that through software is able to track and receive the satellite signal...while moving...that is why it costs $3k (crutchfield.com)
              current projects

Comment

how about highspeed internet via sattelite?

Comment

I'm not sure how well that would work... my parents have directway and they had to run 2 cables to the dish, it was bigger, and if your used to cable, or a T1 line there is some noticable lag. I'm sure they'll figure something out later but since the dish would constantly have to lock onto a signal it might be a good idea to invest in 3G phone technology and hook it to the PC instead

Comment

The package comes with the dish and the receiver. Both are propriatary to eachother. That means they will not interchange with any other receivers. Retail is $3500. Adding the service is like adding another room to your house. I think it's $5 a month. The installation will probably cost $500-$1500 depending on how custom the install will be. The rep told me that they sell about 150 units a day nation wide.
                    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by cproaudio
                      The package comes with the dish and the receiver. Both are propriatary to eachother. That means they will not interchange with any other receivers. Retail is $3500. Adding the service is like adding another room to your house. I think it's $5 a month. The installation will probably cost $500-$1500 depending on how custom the install will be. The rep told me that they sell about 150 units a day nation wide.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32827
                      BossTone74

Comment

Has the world gone crazy?
                        Current Status: For Sale

Specs
                        - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
                        - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
                        - DeLorme GPS (sold)
                        - Power Inverter (sold)
                        - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

That's the old version that no one wants. I was talking about the new version in the pic of the original post. I also said "retail" You can always get anything cheaper than retail on the internet. I've seen the latest version. It doesnt look that bad. It looks ALOT better than the ebay auction one.

Edit: the ebay one is for RV use. Retail is less than $2000. You can mount a bath tub on the roof of an RV and no one will notice just like when you mount that dome on the roof, no one will notice. The one in the pic in the first post is for SUV. Notice the super low profile? It's gonna be while until we see a Honda Civic version.
                          NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

How come there is such big difference this reception and the one from regular GPS receiver-units?

the difference is also in how it works.

satellite TV uses a single satellite for reception. if you are driving through town trees, buildings, billboards etc can interfere with that signal, as you know even a couple second interuption is enough to kill the video for a bit.

Whereas GPS receivers listen to multiple satellites at a given time. if it loses one it still has others. also an interuption of signal isn't as critical as the GPS precision stream is under 2MBPS vs (well a WHOLE lot more vor video).

hope that helps

Comment

At last years Comdex Sirius Sat radio was able to transmit video streams over thier sat radio network. not sure how long before this rolls out if ever but they just showed it can be done with an antenna the size of a hockey puck.

Comment

Working...
                              X