Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Extension problems

Hi

I just moved my USB GPS HE 202E to the front of the car using a USB extender and unfortunately it requires me to unplug the usb extension in and out every time now to regognise the device.

Can anyone shed any light on why it won't detect on startup and why it needs to be unplugged and replugged in to recognise it?
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Originally posted by slarty
    Hi

I just moved my USB GPS HE 202E to the front of the car using a USB extender and unfortunately it requires me to unplug the usb extension in and out every time now to regognise the device.

Can anyone shed any light on why it won't detect on startup and why it needs to be unplugged and replugged in to recognise it?
    How long is your run. I think usb can only go about 15 feet without needing an active extension cable. Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=B133-1018
    Don't know if this will help or not since it sound like the device is actually working once you unplug/plug to get it recognized.
    '03 Sierra Denali

Comment

I should have said its a 3 metre Active extension. thanks anyay. I have used this cable before with no issues.

Originally posted by rgardjr
      How long is your run. I think usb can only go about 15 feet without needing an active extension cable. Here's what I'm talking about:
      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=B133-1018
      Don't know if this will help or not since it sound like the device is actually working once you unplug/plug to get it recognized.
      Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Comment

i say get a new cable because i just put together 30 feet of misc cables to make one long usb cable and it worked fine with my exnarc screen

james

Comment

my zippy keyboard sometimes requires a re-plug, i dont know whats up with that.
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Its interesting what is the USB device doing when its plugged in and out after the OS has started which is different to it being plugged in from a cold start. Is there a method to restart the USB device after the OS has started in a batch file?

Originally posted by binary.h4x
            my zippy keyboard sometimes requires a re-plug, i dont know whats up with that.

Comment

I am running 2 x 6 meter USB cables fine... after 10 meters its sposed to get a bit dodgy but that been said I ran a USB camera over my RJ45 network here and the total distance must have been a lot more then that.

Terran
              My Project Site

Comment

Its not the data its just not identifying the USB device on startup from power down. You have to unlug then reconnect for the OS to find the USB device.

Originally posted by ccsnet
                I am running 2 x 6 meter USB cables fine... after 10 meters its sposed to get a bit dodgy but that been said I ran a USB camera over my RJ45 network here and the total distance must have been a lot more then that.

Terran

Comment

Its not the data its just not identifying the USB device on startup from power down. You have to unlug then reconnect for the OS to find the USB device.
                  I'm experiencing the same type of problem with my Epia M10000 and my USB touchscreen, earthmate GPS and Sonica USB soundcard. I may have fixed it by changing a bios setting to allow for a USB keyboard. I think its the same as the legacy USB support setting that I've seen in other bios's. It provides power to the USB ports at boot up so a USB keyboard can work before Windows starts up. I just changed this last night and I was 4 for 4 today on booting up will all my USB devices working! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix my problem with USB devices requiring the unplug/plug and sometime driver reinstall to work.
                  '03 Sierra Denali

Comment

Are your devices self powered?

Where is the power coming from? Maybe it need's more power.
                    SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                    GPSing - Digital Speedo
                    Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                    Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

I will try this

Many thanks

Originally posted by rgardjr
                      I'm experiencing the same type of problem with my Epia M10000 and my USB touchscreen, earthmate GPS and Sonica USB soundcard. I may have fixed it by changing a bios setting to allow for a USB keyboard. I think its the same as the legacy USB support setting that I've seen in other bios's. It provides power to the USB ports at boot up so a USB keyboard can work before Windows starts up. I just changed this last night and I was 4 for 4 today on booting up will all my USB devices working! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix my problem with USB devices requiring the unplug/plug and sometime driver reinstall to work.

Comment

My issue is that it works but only after you unplug the extension and plug it back in again, so it won't detect after powering on for the first time I will give the usb keyboard option a go

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
                        Are your devices self powered?

Where is the power coming from? Maybe it need's more power.

Comment

My issue is that it works but only after you unplug the extension and plug it back in again, so it won't detect after powering on for the first time I will give the usb keyboard option a go
                          Yes, but maybe the power is very little going to it, and then when you unplug it, the charge/power builds up and when you plug it in, it surges some power and then recognizes it?
                          SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                          GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Ahh

Interesting

I had off the C134 x1 Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse, x1 usb touch screen, and the usb extension lead for the GPS, with out the extension it works fine and with it only works when I unplug and replug in, I also added an 802.11g USB adapter yesterday, now they all work except the GPS when i put the extension in. hmm

I don't know about surge power as it seems to handle all these units but I'm open to any ideas I'm even concidering a Blue tooth GPS as a replacement if anyone can recommend one?

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
                            Yes, but maybe the power is very little going to it, and then when you unplug it, the charge/power builds up and when you plug it in, it surges some power and then recognizes it?

Comment

You have that many devices and no powered USB hub?

I have a 4 port small hub in front and back and I powered them to make sure...
                              GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Working...
                              X