Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightpens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lightpens

    Has anyone used a lightpen as an alternative to a touchscreen?

    Opinions and thoughts are welcome

  • #2
    what the hell is a lightpen?
    Originally posted by menudude
    thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

    Comment


    • #3
      You mean a laser pointer? those things you just point with???
      CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
      Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

      Comment


      • #4
        Definition

        Microspeed Lightpen

        This is 70's technology which is probably why you don't know about it but it looks like it might work just as well. Remember the old Nintendo gun that you played Duck Hunt with? Same technology. It's basically a light that senses your position on any screen. Anyone know where to buy them and how much they go for?

        Comment


        • #5
          They seems to be available from:
          http://www.screendirect.com/
          I have send an email for informations
          Originally posted by Crav4Speed
          Definition

          Microspeed Lightpen

          This is 70's technology which is probably why you don't know about it but it looks like it might work just as well. Remember the old Nintendo gun that you played Duck Hunt with? Same technology. It's basically a light that senses your position on any screen. Anyone know where to buy them and how much they go for?

          Comment


          • #6
            You can buy them from:
            http://estore.fastpoint.com/Products...asp?strCatID=4
            price $398 to $493
            I think that I will pass
            Originally posted by mst
            They seems to be available from:
            http://www.screendirect.com/
            I have send an email for informations

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mst
              You can buy them from:
              http://estore.fastpoint.com/Products...asp?strCatID=4
              price $398 to $493
              I think that I will pass
              Not 70's prices then!!
              Laidback


              The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

              Comment


              • #8
                Light pens!?!?!?!



                No frickin way! A couple years ago I removed an threw away hundreds of them that were attached to terminals in the hospital I worked for. We replaced them with WindowsNT workstations.

                Why? Aside from the obvious limitations of a dumb terminal, the parts were increasingly hard to come by and very expensive. Light pen = $300+; Mouse = $10. You do the math.

                Since touch screens kits are cheaper and easier to use, why bother with a light pen?
                So far:
                M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tom2112
                  Light pens!?!?!?!



                  No frickin way! A couple years ago I removed an threw away hundreds of them that were attached to terminals in the hospital I worked for. We replaced them with WindowsNT workstations.

                  Why? Aside from the obvious limitations of a dumb terminal, the parts were increasingly hard to come by and very expensive. Light pen = $300+; Mouse = $10. You do the math.

                  Since touch screens kits are cheaper and easier to use, why bother with a light pen?


                  I didn't realize they were that expensive... I guess I can scratch that idea

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They would only work with crt displays anyway. The technology are similar to a Playstation gun and stuff like that. It is a sensor that reads when the light of the screen passes. (which it obvious doesnt on a lcd screen). Havent seen it (cheap) for pc's since the freq and the resolution of the monitor varies and you would have to recalibrate all the time to fit the screen. The cheap guns for playstations wont even work on a 100 Hz tv.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tom2112
                      A couple years ago I removed an threw away hundreds of them that were attached to terminals in the hospital I worked for. We replaced them with WindowsNT workstations.

                      Why? Aside from the obvious limitations of a dumb terminal, the parts were increasingly hard to come by and very expensive. Light pen = $300+; Mouse = $10.

                      If they are worth so much, why did you throw them away?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I love duck hunt
                        that game rocked!!!
                        i played it more than I did mario
                        Originally posted by menudude
                        thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by none
                          If they are worth so much, why did you throw them away?
                          It's really a supply and demand thing. We were one of the last people on earth using them. So when we went to sell them, no one was buying. But when we wanted to buy them, they had us over a barrell. So we ended up throwing them away. We probably should have sold one to the Smithsonian!
                          So far:
                          M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X