IR serial port receiver - where to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR serial port receiver - where to buy

Does anyone know where i can buy a cheap IR receiver????
    I dont have the soldering skillz to solder those small parts....
    And i dont want to spend $40 on the IrMan... since i can buy the x-10 remote/receiver thing for the same price...

I have a bunch of remotes lying around that i can use.... so all i need now is the IR receiver (serial)... i can buy/make my own extention cable for the receiver..

Anyone make them here??? (in the US preferably ...unless the shippin from europe or whereever is not significantly more)
    AT mobo
    Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
    ESS Solo PCI soundcard
    Linksys NIC
    Irman

Mastero makes them.

Comment

Originally posted by toadster123
      Does anyone know where i can buy a cheap IR receiver????
      I dont have the soldering skillz to solder those small parts....
      And i dont want to spend $40 on the IrMan... since i can buy the x-10 remote/receiver thing for the same price...

I have a bunch of remotes lying around that i can use.... so all i need now is the IR receiver (serial)... i can buy/make my own extention cable for the receiver..

Anyone make them here??? (in the US preferably ...unless the shippin from europe or whereever is not significantly more)
      I have 1 for sale, it's US$25, includes shipping, PM me if you are interested.
      MediaCar
      Girder with Igor plugin

EPIA-ME6000 w 256MB DDR
      Morex 55W PSU
      12VDC Regulator
      IBM DJSA-220 20GB
      90% completed in a plastic case (8"x10"x2.5")

Comment

i purchased an Ir receiver from Ebay Uk for 9.90 yesterday received it today works with girder pefect. he will probably ship to US for more postage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4&category=179

Comment

winlirc or lirc makes them you just have to find the page i think its lirc.org or lirc.sourceforge.net they are cheap too.
          CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
          Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

What about someting that will hook up to the IR headder on the motherboard !?? I don't want to take up a serial port ! (I need it)
            Home Page
            New '93 R1
            http://member.newsguy.com/~gfxfctry/...Signiature.jpg

Comment

wow, sorry for a really delayed reply. I think lirc / winlirc supports one connected to the header on the motherboard, i have never done this so wouldn't know but i think it can be done.

Comment

what is the header on the mobo? what does it do? where is it located? does the M10000 have one? I also dont want use the serial port since it will be used for GPS.

Comment

I don't have a M10000 Whip your manual out and read it. It will tell you. I think its a IrDA header, so you can talk to more then just remotes. Its 3 pins. Very simple circuit.

Comment

I don't think there is/are any receiver that you can plug into the IR header on the mobo that work with a remote control. They are different type of IR.
                    This guy create one of those cheap Serial/USB receiver and wrote a plugin for Girder.
                    http://www.cesko.host.sk/girderplugin.htm
                    If you can DIY make it, otherwise buy one/some to support his effort.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

The M10000 has a second serial port as well as a IrDA header, I currently using it (com2) with a home build IR receiver.

Comment

tell us more about your home built system...

I wish to use the pinouts on the M10k. What kind of circiut do i need to buy or make. Do you have any schematics or a place to buy a prefabbed one?
                        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

On this topic, I remember stumbling across a website that told how to use any old IR receiver out of an old piece of AV equipment. I can't find that now.

I found a discarded VCR and gutted it to put a PC into (By the time I'm done, I'll have installed a PC into the fridge too...) and was trying to figure out a way to keep the IR receiver in the VCR instead of going out and buying one.

Cheers,

Kris
                          How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

The receiver that I made is from the web page
                            http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

To start with your only need the pins 1,5,7 On the Via M10k board the 9 pins of the serial port are in two rows (odd pins are on PIC side with pin 1 begin closet to the back of the board). This makes for easy connection with a CDRom audio cable (flat ribbon type)
                            I bought all the parts from Jaycar (Australia) apart from the IR recevice the other items parts are very common and should cost less than $2(AUS).

The IR recevicer (ZD1952 Jaycar.com.au Part number) cost $6.40(AUS).
                            Note this 5mm Infrared Receiver has different pin outlets to the circuit from the above web site, but documention from jarcar has the correct pin outlets.

The other option for getting a IR receiver is to pull apart an old video player.

If anyone need help building this device just give me a yell

Navron

Comment

I have so many things that i still need to do for my carputer. Is there any recievers that can be purchased that will plug in to the pin headers of the M10k
                              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Working...
                              X