Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any keyboards come with RED backlighting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any keyboards come with RED backlighting?

So far all I've seen are hideous aqua indiglow looking backlit keyboards and once I saw a not so bad green backlit one. However, all the interior lights in my car are red and I think having an aqua or green colored keyboard out would just ruin the continuity of the whole dash. Anyone know who makes a red backlit one? Or, do you think it would be hard to change the backlighting to red from one of those EL lit keyboards?

How does EL lighting work anyways? I know that electricity if turned directly into light instead of the standard turning it into heat which emits light but does it always shine white and it's just passed through a certain colored filter, or does it shine different colors?

I think if I can find a nice mini, wireless, black keyboard that has EL lighting and I can just change the filter color of the lighting to red then I'll be happy. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.
    2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
    -FP18G turbo
    -Walbro fuel pump
    -Modified OEM 840 CC Injectors
    -TurboXS: UTEC, turboback, uppipe, intake
    -Blitz FMIC
    -STI cluster
    -17"x7.5" SSR Competitions
    -Tein Flex coilovers
    -NOS 50 shot
    -2004 rear conversion

Same here I have a red lighting theme in my truck and also think it would be nice to have a red backlit keyboard. Can anone help us?
    2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
    Gigabyte Z97 mITX Intel Mobo, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5-4590S 3.0GHz Proc, 320 GB Hard Drive, Dual 12' VGA HDMI DVI touchscreen monitors,....
    http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-...avalanche.html

Comment

there were some on ebay. cant find them anymore.. should have bought one while it lasted.
      Welcome, cdm.
      You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
      Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

bump
        2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
        -FP18G turbo
        -Walbro fuel pump
        -Modified OEM 840 CC Injectors
        -TurboXS: UTEC, turboback, uppipe, intake
        -Blitz FMIC
        -STI cluster
        -17"x7.5" SSR Competitions
        -Tein Flex coilovers
        -NOS 50 shot
        -2004 rear conversion

Comment

I have the blue LED Zippy....how easy, I wonder, would it be to just solder in red LEDs?
          TruckPC
          P4 1.8GHZ--1G ram--Asus PVR800-vw--14"LCD--Pioneer DVD drive--DeLorme GPS -- 802.11g wifi
          Audio
          Alpine 9813--MVR450 amp-- Polk/MOMO components front and rear--2 x 10" RF Power HX2/Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1amp--XM satelitte

Comment

I remember the Auravision EluminX Illuminated keyboards most were blue but
            I think they had a red model too.

Comment

I just checked Auravisions website. They dont make a red model. however this keyboard uses EL paper behind the keys to produce the light, if you could find Red EL paper you could mod the keyboard to glow red.
              2003 Subaru Impreza TS
              Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

Comment

For what it's worth, these guys make red illuminated keyboards; however they are made for industrial use and thus they are not cheap. (ie they are like $350+)
                MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
                See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
                Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
                Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
                BMW I-Bus Integration
                My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Originally posted by Maeveth
                  I just checked Auravisions website. They dont make a red model. however this keyboard uses EL paper behind the keys to produce the light, if you could find Red EL paper you could mod the keyboard to glow red.
                  Wait, is there something special about EL paper or is this just a color filter. It's probably just white led's masked by bluish filter in the zippy correct?

Hmmmm.. to answer my own question i might take apart my zippy and see tonight, if anyone knows the answer let me know before i rip it apart
                  ----------------------
                  VIA Epia II
                  256MB 266DDR Ram
                  90GB Wester Digital
                  Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
                  Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
                  ----------------------
                  Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

EL paper is like paper that glows. Its not a color filter. Its alot like Cold Cathodes. You need to hook it into an inverter to work but im sure since the Auravision keyboard has EL paper or something similar you may be able to retrofit/replace w/o much modification.
                    2003 Subaru Impreza TS
                    Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

Comment

HERE I AM TO SAVE THE DAY
                      http://www.neontrim.com/keyboard.html
                      This should do the trick!

it will let you use any keyboard you like too!
                      -----------------
                      Dashboard Monkey - CarPC News, reviews, installs and more
                      -----------------

Comment

Ah yes.. I have used EL wire before.. It's neat stuff. That should work really well provided you don't actually want translucent keys..

/still waiting for a wireless keyboard with backlighting
                        MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
                        See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
                        Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
                        Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
                        BMW I-Bus Integration
                        My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Originally posted by gork
                          Ah yes.. I have used EL wire before.. It's neat stuff. That should work really well provided you don't actually want translucent keys..

/still waiting for a wireless keyboard with backlighting
                          Translucent keyboards aren't too difficult to track down. Still might be able to do something!

They have a backlight kit that runs off AAs- the same number of AAs in my bluetooth keyboard. It'd probably kill them in a mater of hours, but hey, if you tied it into the right circuitry the lights might only be on in use. Probably be fine with some NiMhs
                          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Source for replacement EL material

These guys sell Electro Luminescent wire, strips, sheets, etc. Blood Red and several other colors. I'd think it would be easy to replace the existing blue stuff with any color you like, the sheets can be cut to any shape you want.

http://www.beingseen.com/index.html

Comment

*bump*

These guys sell Electro Luminescent wire, strips, sheets, etc. Blood Red and several other colors. I'd think it would be easy to replace the existing blue stuff with any color you like, the sheets can be cut to any shape you want.

http://www.beingseen.com/index.html
                              has anyone used these EL sheets to replace the one in the mini keyboard?

Comment

Working...
                              X