USB 2.0 to ide adapter, anybody got one of these working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 2.0 to ide adapter, anybody got one of these working

Purchased a USB 2.0 To IDE Hard Disk/CDROM/DVDROM Adapter off Ebay to put in my new car (2000 Civiv SI). Have everything else up and running except my DVD/CDRW. Running Win XP Pro on a MSI K3t Ultra ARU board. Have the adapter plugged into a toshiba laptop DVD/CD drive. Windows recognizes the drive, but lists it under USB Devices as an "Unknown Device". Seller claimed no drivers are needed under XP. Anybody find a driver, or get one of these to work? I've tried tweaking the bios with the "allow usb legacy devices" and have tried having windows search for new hardware, all to the same result. Unit is powered separately, and will open and close drive. Have tried this on 3 different computers, and with 3 different drives. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
    Batman
    Batman@TheNewBatcave.com
    www.samshomepage.net

Yep, i've got one working. It's a little blue thing, with about 6" of USB cable. no brand name.

Just plugged it in to USB and power, and my carputer detected it no problem, needed no drivers

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
      Yep, i've got one working. It's a little blue thing, with about 6" of USB cable. no brand name.

Just plugged it in to USB and power, and my carputer detected it no problem, needed no drivers

Garry
      Do you just plug the power into the molex connector on the drive?
      Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

Originally posted by blackaccrd00
        Do you just plug the power into the molex connector on the drive?
        There is also a power supply for the adapter itself, it uses 5V.

Garry
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

so you jsut hook up to the 5v on teh adapter of the adapter and the molex?

Comment

Originally posted by blackaccrd00
            so you jsut hook up to the 5v on teh adapter of the adapter and the molex?
            Yep
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

thanks.

Comment

Apparently the unit I have is defective. If they are just supposed to plug and play, mine doesn't do that.
                Batman@TheNewBatcave.com
                www.samshomepage.net

Comment

Here is the actual error message
                  Attached Files
                  Batman@TheNewBatcave.com
                  www.samshomepage.net

Comment

Yea it sounds like you may have a defective unit. 3 different computers 3 different drives only thing in common is the adapter.

Comment

The one I have dosn't work either. Stay away

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...107-107&depa=0
                      Man who stands on toilet is high on pot

Comment

That is the exact same one as I have. Do you have SP1 for Windows XP installed? Have you tried it on another USB port? Have you made sure with a multimeter that the power adapter for it is supplying 5V?

Garry
                        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
                          That is the exact same one as I have. Do you have SP1 for Windows XP installed? Have you tried it on another USB port? Have you made sure with a multimeter that the power adapter for it is supplying 5V?

Garry
                          Yes, tried it on the 2.0 hob in the car, directly off the 2.0 port in the car, and on the 2.0 hub in my house on 3 of the 4 ports. Also tried using the power supply that came with it, and a molex from both pc's. CD or drivepowers up. I can open the cd door, hear it spin the cd. it just doesn't recognize the drives. Also tried it on a good hard drive last night with same outcome. you could hear drive spin up, but XP listed it as "unrecognized device"

Sam
                          Batman@TheNewBatcave.com
                          www.samshomepage.net

Comment

Originally posted by Batmanatthenewb
                            Yes, tried it on the 2.0 hob in the car, directly off the 2.0 port in the car, and on the 2.0 hub in my house on 3 of the 4 ports. Also tried using the power supply that came with it, and a molex from both pc's. CD or drivepowers up. I can open the cd door, hear it spin the cd. it just doesn't recognize the drives. Also tried it on a good hard drive last night with same outcome. you could hear drive spin up, but XP listed it as "unrecognized device"

Sam
                            Drive powers up but it's not detected? You did plug in the little power plug to the back of the adapter, right? (Sorry if you have, but from what you said, it seems like you haven't).

Mine wouldn't be detected until that was plugged in.

Garry
                            www.aimee.cc

Comment

what did you set the jumper as Master / Slave / Cable select? My CD-RW wouldn't be detected by my firewire enclosure until i put the jumper on cable select try that first

Comment

Working...
                              X