Pontiac Grandprix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac Grandprix

I am trying to finish out the install for my grandprix (the third car this player has been in). The player has no gui so just a few buttons are needed

I would like to use the steering wheel buttons, but I don't have the wiring diagram, google didn't show anything up. Anyone have any information?

Thanks

Anthony

If you have an IR reciever you can use a Steering Wheel Radio Control w/ Girder.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Try www.alldatadiy.com You'll have to pay for a year's subscription to the service manual, but I'd be relatively sure they have a schematic for the steering wheel controls. Other wise you'll probably need to start poking around in the wiring harness by the steering column to find out what's what. A word of advice in this though, do NOT use a test light if the vehicle is equipped with airbags.

Comment

I have a microcontroller in the front panel and would like to directly interface to it, I don't have IR in my car.

I think I have the specific wire I need, but 8 buttons are connected to 1 wire, I need to figure out how!

Comment

Attached Files
          2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Sedan (Sold)
          2007 Scion tC
          WhereIsMyGPS.net Online Tracker
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/leddy

Comment

Silly me didn't wait for the image to load!

U da MAN! That's exactly what I need!

Nice vehicle! Mine is a long way from that, I am going for the "nearly stock" look. The only thing that will look significantly different is the front panel and the graphic mounted to the side of the center console.

I will have pics when I am done.

Comment

As a fellow GP'er, I also need to interface my steering wheel controls with my carputer. So what's the plan to get this to work?
              Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
              Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

Comment

The Plan!

First off, mine is not so much a carputer, it doesn't do a lot of the stuff I see going on in these forums, it'll play mp3's from playlists it will play the radio via an ISA radio card, it might have GPS on it, but no "take this road" stuff, more like "you have to go towards the east". So as you can see my interface requirements are much more modest...

For output, I have a parallel 4x20 VFD and I am connecting this to the PC serial, to accomplish this I have designed a front panel board (that I will etch myself) that has a microcontroller on it (PIC 16F876A) which has an ADC on board, I think I will have to use a negative gain op amp to get the possibly 12v from the buttons down to 5v that the PIC can use. Once I have a variable level I can send the appropriate message to the PC and process it.

Comment

Originally posted by toftat
                  First off, mine is not so much a carputer, it doesn't do a lot of the stuff I see going on in these forums, it'll play mp3's from playlists it will play the radio via an ISA radio card, it might have GPS on it, but no "take this road" stuff, more like "you have to go towards the east". So as you can see my interface requirements are much more modest...

For output, I have a parallel 4x20 VFD and I am connecting this to the PC serial, to accomplish this I have designed a front panel board (that I will etch myself) that has a microcontroller on it (PIC 16F876A) which has an ADC on board, I think I will have to use a negative gain op amp to get the possibly 12v from the buttons down to 5v that the PIC can use. Once I have a variable level I can send the appropriate message to the PC and process it.
                  YOu could just use a voltage divider network that will convert the 12V output down to 5V for the PIC. For example, a 7k and a 5K will yield 5V output for the PIC to read. You could even use a 15k variable resister to get 5V.
                  Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

Yeah, that's what I am thinking, the top side (pic to 12v) will effectivly be a variable resistor, the low side will just be the right size to pull it down to 5v, hopefully I can get the impedances right. I am also thinking of putting a zener in just to make sure it won't hurt the PIC

For the other GP'er, once I get mine to work, I'll be happy to put one together for you, contact me via email to discuss

Comment

7805 will give you 5v
                      2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Sedan (Sold)
                      2007 Scion tC
                      WhereIsMyGPS.net Online Tracker
                      http://www.cardomain.com/id/leddy

Comment

7805 is a voltage regulator, it wouldn't work in this situation, I need to see the variations.

The uC board has a 78L05 on it and is powered from the PC 12v to provide isolation from the nasty automotive environment.

Comment

How would you connect the PIC to the computer? Par port, serial, USB, ps/2?

Comment

RS232, serial, going through a MAX232, I am developing a protocol that will allow the PC to send some details once per song, and other details when needed like elapsed time.

I'd also like to have the pic scroll things like artist and track name when they don't fit (it's only a 4x20 screen)

Comment

Working...
                            X