Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone RAID?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone RAID?

    I'm wondering if anyone has a raid arry setup. Maybe a raid 0 for faster mp3 load time?
    ,./(0)3

    '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

    [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

  • #2
    I realize the power consumption problems, but ignore that. I'll build a back-seat reactor if I have too. Hmm...
    ,./(0)3

    '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

    [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

    Comment


    • #3
      With all the vibrations and stuff you are just doubling your chances of hard drive failure. Also I am running RAID 0 in my main PC and there is not much change in speed for smaller files like MP3s compared to a regular setup.
      Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

      Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by blackaccrd00
        I am running RAID 0 in my main PC and there is not much change in speed for smaller files like MP3s compared to a regular setup.
        Erg... I don't want to change this into a thread on why RAID 0 is almost useless in a PC and should kept to servers. I could mirror it to lessen the change of hard drive failure.... as write to a carputer doesn't happen often.
        ,./(0)3

        '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

        [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

        Comment


        • #5
          why? just why?
          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
          I'M DEBT FREE!!
          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

          Comment


          • #6
            RAID1 is a very good idea, simply because the data is mirrored. The hard disk will fail more quickly in the car environment, so for uninterrupted, backup free carputing, RAID1 is a good idea. RAID0 is pointless, remember the MP3 performance is not important, the music plays in real time, so its gated by that, the drive can very easily provide the music buffers with enough data for the slow input your ears can take...
            .//Daren
            (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
            MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mobileh1
              the drive can very easily provide the music buffers with enough data for the slow input your ears can take...
              I have those new high-input SATA ears... they wrok great.

              I realizes there's not much to this. If a hard drive dies, having a mirrored one is nice, but wouldn't save me all that much. All MP3s are on my 30gig mp3player and desktop pc... If my damn parts would come...stupid ups...stupd 4th of July (ok that's not stupid but still)
              ,./(0)3

              '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

              [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

              Comment


              • #8
                I make an image of my whole carputer's hard drive to another hard drive every once in a while. Then I keep the copy in a safe place (i.e. not in a car).
                1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have all my MP3's stored on my server at home, which is set up with a RAID 5, any that go onto the carPC are just copies, so if the HD crashes I haven't lost anything.


                  NB I have a Ghost image of the system partition on that server as well, and on the backup partition on the drive in the CarPC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Really? Wait until it happens until you realize how much time you spent tinkering with XP and getting all the apps installed and putting the right skin files on and getting the external apps just right and the audio settings.... etc etc

                    A disk image is something that is a great idea, its like RAID1, in one way better, the image is not in the car, in one way worse, the image is out of date.



                    Originally posted by Enforcer
                    I have all my MP3's stored on my server at home, which is set up with a RAID 5, any that go onto the carPC are just copies, so if the HD crashes I haven't lost anything.


                    NB I have a Ghost image of the system partition on that server as well, and on the backup partition on the drive in the CarPC.
                    .//Daren
                    (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
                    MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Why RAID5?

                      I know disks are cheap, but level 5 requires at least 3 disks for every logical drive. Do you have a lot of concurrent read/only users? I cannot think of any reason to run RAID5 at home? I run RAID1 everywhere because its cheaper to buy 2 disks than to loose data, which the mirroring of level 1 provides. I have had disks die on me and I would swap in one of the spares and it will sort it self out over the next few hours, unattended...

                      I run a consulting business, so my home office machines need to be highly reliable.


                      Originally posted by Enforcer
                      I have all my MP3's stored on my server at home, which is set up with a RAID 5, any that go onto the carPC are just copies, so if the HD crashes I haven't lost anything.


                      NB I have a Ghost image of the system partition on that server as well, and on the backup partition on the drive in the CarPC.
                      .//Daren
                      (Epia M10000/C134) (C137/MII 10000) Liliput /Opus 150W/DVD/512MB/80GB/Hummer H1
                      MediaCar/CoPilot7/Routis

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        With RAID 5 though you actually get more capacity in the OS. I use a small standalone RAID 5 box at work with 6 14GB HDDs in it. With it running at RAID 5 Windows sees it as one drive at ~67GB. If I just did RAID 0 or 1 (using just 2 drives) Windows would only see one drive at 14GB. The only drawbacks I see with RAID 5 are cost, and if in the invent 2 drives failed you're could be screwed.
                        1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dodgetimes2
                          The only drawbacks I see with RAID 5 are cost, and if in the invent 2 drives failed you're could be screwed.
                          with raid 0 or 1 if 2 drives failed, you are definitely screwed

                          Originally posted by mobileh1
                          Really? Wait until it happens until you realize how much time you spent tinkering with XP and getting all the apps installed and putting the right skin files on and getting the external apps just right and the audio settings.... etc etc
                          there are actually two images of the system partition. 1. is just a base XP install with all the service packs, patches, and antivirus installed. 2. has all the apps, skins and preferred settings.

                          Originally posted by mobileh1
                          Why RAID5?

                          I know disks are cheap, but level 5 requires at least 3 disks for every logical drive. Do you have a lot of concurrent read/only users? I cannot think of any reason to run RAID5 at home? I run RAID1 everywhere because its cheaper to buy 2 disks than to loose data, which the mirroring of level 1 provides. I have had disks die on me and I would swap in one of the spares and it will sort it self out over the next few hours, unattended...

                          I run a consulting business, so my home office machines need to be highly reliable.
                          see dodgetimes2 's answer.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X