No announcement yet.

Device Like Griffin PowerMate

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device Like Griffin PowerMate

I have been working on an mp3car project for a while and I finally finished writing my winamp plugin and library source. I've come to the realization that I need a good form of Human Interface. I want to have either two knobs or a knob and a scroller wheel.

However, the only knob I could find that fits my needs is the Griffin PowerMate. Unfortunately, the current software will not support multiple powermates. Griffin has promised this for over a year, so I do not think that this will ever happen. Also, the power mate is a rather large knob.

Does anyone know the name of the component used in these kind of devices? A knob that can turn infinately in either direction. It is up to the software to keep track of the "position". I can't find these devices anywhere, all I can find are BCD switches and pots. I am interested in wiring two of these knobs and several buttons to a MicroChips controller.

Thank you for your time,

Read this thread:

The Shuttle Xpress is over 4 inches round, if this is not a concern then it is a good alternative.
    Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

In case anyone else is concerned, the device I was looking for is a "rotary incremental encoder". The device works pretty straighfowardly. I am currently working on writing drivers for it on a PIC microcontroller.

Just to let you know, Griffin will give you the complete SDK for interfacing the PowerMate if you ask . Shoot them an email...

..what could one do with the SDK?
          mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
          Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

They sent me the SDK when I asked them about it supporting two devices. But I don't really want to revamp their code. If they haven't done it already, then it is most likely a pain. Besides, I am already using a PIC for my several buttons under my display.