IR Keyboard small

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR Keyboard small

Has anyone used one of these mini IR keyboards?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713718583&rd=1

looks like its made only for PDA's. how would you use that with a carpc?

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
    DOS 6.22 - MPXF - 2x16 LCD - 6.4GB
    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - Tank batt relay - 100GB
    Car PC v3 - 2008
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - 802.11g - FM/XM - OBDII - WWW

[||||||||||||||----] 80% complete

Comment

If you have an IR reciever, you can use GIRDER and/or Winlirc to program the inputs. It seems like a nice device to have in the car since it can be folded in half and has a protective casing.

Here are some close up pics:
      http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...keyboarddd.jpg
      http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...keyboardgg.jpg

The dimensions I took from a website say its Dimension: Closed(142X96X9.2mm), Open(284X96X9.2mm)

I would think the width of the keyboard would double to 18.4mm. I guess that was a typing error on the site. Ive seen this keyboard on various sites for ONLY $20. I think this a bargain considering what some people have been spending on mini keyboards.

Here is another neat keyboard:
      http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/stowaway_IR.htm
      Closed: 5.47H x 3.82W x .67D (139 mm x 97 mm x 17 mm)
      Open: 10.3 x 5.7 x 0.7 (251 mm x 148 mm x 13 mm)
      Weight: 5.75 oz. (179 grams)
      THis one costs alot more $70.

Comment

It looks just like the one I bought for my wife's PDA. Out of curiousity, I tried to get my laptop IR port to see it and it could not. It may be on a seperate frequency so that the IR receivers outside of PDA's can't see it. If you can get one to work with Girder, please let me know in this thread. I would love to have a functional keyboard that small attached to my CarPC.

Peter

Originally posted by Tred
        If you have an IR reciever, you can use GIRDER and/or Winlirc to program the inputs. It seems like a nice device to have in the car since it can be folded in half and has a protective casing.

Here are some close up pics:
        http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...keyboarddd.jpg
        http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...keyboardgg.jpg

The dimensions I took from a website say its Dimension: Closed(142X96X9.2mm), Open(284X96X9.2mm)

I would think the width of the keyboard would double to 18.4mm. I guess that was a typing error on the site. Ive seen this keyboard on various sites for ONLY $20. I think this a bargain considering what some people have been spending on mini keyboards.

Here is another neat keyboard:
        http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/stowaway_IR.htm
        Closed: 5.47H x 3.82W x .67D (139 mm x 97 mm x 17 mm)
        Open: 10.3 x 5.7 x 0.7 (251 mm x 148 mm x 13 mm)
        Weight: 5.75 oz. (179 grams)
        THis one costs alot more $70.
        Stop Buying New Music CD's.
        Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Could someone find a schematic or something similar for this product. If the IR range is between 36-40kHz we should be golden.

Chut- have you tried your laptop IR reciever with the Girder program? you may also want to use the Igor plug-in as i heard it is better than Winlirc.

Comment

nope, my laptop makes a tone when ever it senses anything IR. With the lense pressed up against the IR port, no reception.
            Peter

Originally posted by Tred
            Could someone find a schematic or something similar for this product. If the IR range is between 36-40kHz we should be golden.

Chut- have you tried your laptop IR reciever with the Girder program? you may also want to use the Igor plug-in as i heard it is better than Winlirc.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Try using Girder.

Comment

ttt

Comment

nope, girder won't work if the hardware doesn't support the frequency of the device. Besides, I already did try it.

Comment

I contacted the Palm keyboard company. They said they will try to contact the R&D department for the output frequency or a schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by chut
                      nope, my laptop makes a tone when ever it senses anything IR. With the lense pressed up against the IR port, no reception.
                      Peter
                      Laptop IR receivers that are built in are different from PDA and remote IR sensors. You need to buy an external receiver (like $5 in eBay) and then you'll be able to use any IR input device with Girder.
                      00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                      Newest install - my quickest ever
                      My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                      My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

Your right, that's the point I was trying to make in an earlier post.

I have several IR receivers purchased with different projects in mind and none of them worked with the mini keyboard I purchased for my wife's PDA.

This weekend I went from server controlled access to my wireless/web to a wireless router and it's working great. My wife can surf on her handheld and get her email also. I'm thinking of purchasing an X3I for myself now.

Peter

Originally posted by Yuriy
                        Laptop IR receivers that are built in are different from PDA and remote IR sensors. You need to buy an external receiver (like $5 in eBay) and then you'll be able to use any IR input device with Girder.

Comment

That sounds correct. I was thinking if we had a schematic we could use an IR reciever which accepts signals from the kHz frequency. Would this be feasible?

Comment

no word from Research and Development. Can someone post the patent# on this product?

Comment

Working...
                            X