idea hard to describe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idea hard to describe

any input devices out there that will take some wires, read the voltage on them and send a unique signal along USB.

so to conceptualize... maybe 4-5 seperate wires, 1 ground wire, comes together into a USB input and recognized as 4-5 distint inputs.

i think the way to do that would be to use an ADC but converting that to USB is the tricky part, RS232 would be easier
    Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Danceheaven
      i think the way to do that would be to use an ADC but converting that to USB is the tricky part, RS232 would be easier
      Agreed Serial Would Be The Way To Go!
      CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
      Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Look into using the joystick port as analog inputs...they are quite common and can be found cheap. A USB joystick maybe the best way to do it, it already have a built in ADC...just rip out the bits you dont need.

You get 4 analog inputs and 4 digital inputs.

I have posted a link in the forum some months ago. Joystick sense the amount of resistance on the potentiometer and translate that as the movements. So you will need to add a little circuit so it can read the voltage directly.

Hope that helps.

Comment

The link :

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23071

Same kind of stuff you are looking for

Otherwise find an ADC on USB...probably expensive...but its not when homemade on PIC

Comment

yea but im worried about stretching for more than 3 feet, i know of USB signal boosters are their any for regular analog signals?

i forget whats the device called that holds the line at the input voltage, forgot my basic EE classses.

Thanks for all the kind advice =D

Comment

Originally posted by tdevil
              i forget whats the device called that holds the line at the input voltage, forgot my basic EE classses.
              Sample and hold.
              Old Systems retired due to new car
              New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

um i think it was an some op amp circuit but i dont know if those are still practical nowadays.

Comment

3 feet? The signal is supposedly good for 16 meters, or 50+ feet. Granted you have a well insulated/shielded extension.

Comment

Try Phidgets .
                    God_of_CPU put me on to them. It looks like exactly what you're looking for.
                    Micco
                    Project Status: Installed! (v1.0)
                    Mac Mini (1.4ghz, 1G RAM, 80G HD)
                    XENARC 7" (DigtalWheelz)
                    Carnetix 1900 + P5V Powersupply
                    AII-NIS HU Adapter
                    iMic
                    Belkin 7-port "Tetra" USB hub
                    Front end...CCar right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tdevil
                      um i think it was an some op amp circuit but i dont know if those are still practical nowadays.
                      Yep, you can use an opamp to build a sample and hold circuit.

You can use an opamp to build lots of things.
                      Old Systems retired due to new car
                      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by dignome
                        3 feet? The signal is supposedly good for 16 meters, or 50+ feet. Granted you have a well insulated/shielded extension.
                        is that true? i thought i read somewhere around here that signals arent made to travel further than 3 feet.

also define/reccomend some well insulated shielded extensions if you could =D..

i last thing i want is for buttons to be half working from teh front of the car hehe

again thx for all the kind advice everyone.

Comment

If the line is an external serial connection then it should run for longer lengths with no problem. Where you run into problems is extending the traces used between ICs and other components. As long as its serial (rs232 or usb) and not parallel then it should run fine for good distances.

Infact, I have my VFD hooked up via Parallel and punched out a 16-20ft ribbon cable with db15 connectors and it runs fine. This surprised me since Parallel is not supposed to run as long as serial.

Comment

how about this http://www.ymouse.com/custom/xkmatrix.php - ready for any thing you connect to it

Comment

Originally posted by Micco
                              Try Phidgets .
                              God_of_CPU put me on to them. It looks like exactly what you're looking for.
                              [H]4 Life
                              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                              I'm a lesbian too.
                              I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                              X