Griffin Powermate - awesome input option

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffin Powermate - awesome input option

found this today, I didn't know if anyone is currently using this device but I think it would make a killer input for a carPC project.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

A couple of these (each has the programmable dial and pushbutton settings) mounted to the dash or middle console would be perfect for navigating through playlists and directories.

comments? I'm thinking of picking a couple up to play with, if no one else has done it I'll write up a review as well.
    Thank You /////ALPINE
    7" Lilli. GPSlim236. Streetdeck. Mappoint. M9000. M2ATX, XMDirect

nevermind, just like a newbie I didn't search first I guess alot of you area already using it!
    Thank You /////ALPINE
    7" Lilli. GPSlim236. Streetdeck. Mappoint. M9000. M2ATX, XMDirect

Comment

Good save! I'm sure you were about to get hammered.

Comment

肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

Actually the Powermate kind of sucks. It's too big and only has one button. I've used both and the Shuttle Express is vastly superior. It's also pretty big, but it's kind of flat at least. And it has a few buttons.

Comment

yesh... i agrees
            mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
            Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Comment

I also use the Shuttle Express with great success. It's amazing. I've glued it to the top of the folding cupholder in my center console and plan to fiberglass it in once I finish moving to my new home. It has 5 buttons, a jog dial, and a finger-spinner dial in the center. I've mapped the finger dial to up arrow/down arrow, the jog dial to a logarithmic fast forward/rewind so I can skip around inside songs easily, and the buttons do everything from play to next, previous, browse, and escape.
              Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
              http://hallert.net/

Comment

its expensive and the windows software is kinda buggy, but i have been using one for about a year, once u get it setup right its pretty cool
                Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Griffin Powermate is super buggy

I used the griffin for 3 days, and it would work fine until something random happened that made it not work. I was using the latest drivers and the latest software, but it would randomly flake out on me. I would have to uninstall the drivers from device manager, reboot, plug it in, reboot again, and then it would work. It would flake out if new software was installed, or even if I tried to adjust the volume while the computer was almost finished booting, (if the volume was up loud and i didn't want to blast my ears away) I would be willing to try it again if anyone has a fix for my problems....I just exchanged it for the gyration keyboard and mouse. Not nearly as cool.
                  Compaq v6719 Athlon X2 tk-57
                  Xenarc 7" Dash Install, iGuidance w/ iGPS 500
                  HD Radio, Powermate, ShuttleXpress, XMDirect, DC/Auto turn on, Pioneer TS-C720PRS, 2 12" MTX BTE's, JL 500/1 and RBC

94.3% of all percentages are made up

Comment

I've been using the powermate for a while now and my biggest concern is Griffin's lack of Tech Support. They been tellin me that they were releasing new windows drivers for the longest time now to fix some of these quirks in the current version (1.5.2) But nothings come up.. Does anyone know if maybe the drivers for Shuttle Express would work on the Powermate? granted there'd be extra stuff in the software the powermate doesnt have... oh well....

Not to completely hack this thread but does anyone know how to take the powermate apart?? I want to custom mount this but i have no need for the bottom end of the powermate and dont want to take my dremel to it...

THanks
                    Apolo
                    2002 DSM RSX-S
                    Custom Car PC Re-design Pending Completion of fiberglassing dash and trunk
                    Pics

Comment

Originally posted by ApoloV
                      does anyone know how to take the powermate apart??
                      First pull the volume knob part (the top half) directly off. Then gently pry the bottom plastic disc off using a razor (this is glued on, glue it back with krazy glue or what have you).

If I remember correctly, you'll have to cut the wire if you want to go further than that.

Comment

yea i got that far.. i was wondering if there was something i was missing in terms of gettin it further w/o having to cut anything..

thanks
                        2002 DSM RSX-S
                        Pics

Comment

I actually just re-purchased the powermate because i got an oportunity to try it out again in my car....turns out the powermate just hates USB hubs..whether powered or not. I have it hooked up with 2 10' extensions and now it is working great!
                          Compaq v6719 Athlon X2 tk-57
                          Xenarc 7" Dash Install, iGuidance w/ iGPS 500
                          HD Radio, Powermate, ShuttleXpress, XMDirect, DC/Auto turn on, Pioneer TS-C720PRS, 2 12" MTX BTE's, JL 500/1 and RBC

94.3% of all percentages are made up

Comment

haha damn and i thought i was runnin long cables with the powermate on ~3m of cable...

congrats on the re-purchase
                            2002 DSM RSX-S
                            Pics

Comment

you have to admit though the griffin looks damn cool! =D

Comment

Working...
                              X