Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ultrasonic ranging

Hi There

Has anyone used ultrasonic ranging to create a full 360 degree map of objects around the car yet ? does anyone know what the angle of the wave is on those ranging devices that you can get ? I am contemplating using 2 devices mounted back to back on top of a servo, then sending an echo, returning the reply, stepping couple of degrees and doing the same, and then using the info returned to create a map of what objects where found and how far away they are.

Oh, and does ultrasonic waves penetrate glass ?

Jan
    Not doing carpc anymore

wtf is this for? the angle of the wave depends on which ones you get. they're selling some on bgmicro.com, I just got one for a back up sensor. and they are pretty nice, but they are digital, not analog, so you will either pick up the object being within proximity or you wont.
    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

how would you display this,just curious
      it is a neat idea
      S.M.A.R.T. car project is on its way
      car of the future, you will all see

Comment

hehe, this is for me to have some fun stuff to do :-)

The one i am thinking of using is this one : http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.as...9&CategoryID=8

Possibly using another one with longer range also.

The idea is that if i can do some ranging on different degrees and the wave width is narrow enough it would be like a primitive sonar function and i would be able to draw a picture using the information and then play "connect the dots" between the measurements to draw a crude object :-)

Jan
        Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Actually i just saw this on that sensor : http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/index/beampat.gif

seems like the pattern is a bit much spread out if the range is to far but it might work.
          Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

that might be pretty hard to interpret while drving or backing up
            S.M.A.R.T. car project is on its way
            car of the future, you will all see

Comment

Originally posted by _dopehead_
              Oh, and does ultrasonic waves penetrate glass ?
              no, glass reflects sound waves I think!
              [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

Well, what i was thinking was actually linking those info to an onboard camera and then putting distance labels on the objects that the ranger finds, on the screen.

Jan
                Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

I was thinking of using a range finder for reversing as well. I haven't quite worked out the setup, but you could probably tie it to a circuit board and either interface that with a PC, or maybe just generate a sound or flash a LED on the dash. Has anyone had any success with something like this?

Comment

seems i am not alone in thinking that this is feasable : http://www.acroname.com/robotics/inf.../sonar.html#s7

Jan
                    Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

i want sonar!!!
                      Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
                      Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
                      S2000 Carputer

Comment

me too :-) i just need the funds to buy some microcontroller and a few sonar sensors to start testing it :-( been spending way to much money on my carpc install lately
                        Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Working...
                        X