I ain't got no...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ain't got no...

.....steering wheel switches to control my 'puter. I think that I could put one or two on the wheel but am not sure where to get some decent aftermarket ones. Has anyone done this before? Alternatively, what are some good places to search for stock looking steering wheel switches?

Yes, I did but found threads on others who wanted to do this rather than someone who had.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Junk yard? I think it would look nice if you got one from the same car maker, with the logo and all. If it would fit easy, that would be a plus.

Comment

Good suggestion but it's a 2001 VW Beetle. They don't come with switches on the steering wheel, so no junkyard parts available. I was thinking of perhaps using some other car's switches. For the Beetle, round would be good but I haven't seen any like that, of course.

As you can see from the pic, there's room for about one switch on each side.

I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:

Comment

The question is how in the world will you tie your switches into your computer?

Comment

why not just get a steering wheel remote from a aftermarket HU and use that with a ir sensor to control your computer?
          肚子笑痛了
          S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
            why not just get a steering wheel remote from a aftermarket HU and use that with a ir sensor to control your computer?
            That's a good idea. But I'm not a car stereo-phile, so I was wondering if you've got some suggested types to look at? Also, I'd really like the switches to look stock, if possible so I don't really want to strap something on to the steering wheel if I don't have to.
            Want to:

Comment

radioshack.com and digikey.com have all sorts of buttons

http://www.phidgets.com/ makes stuff to let you interface them with your computer.
              StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
              Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
              The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

If you can find one and it fits, a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T w/Leather has controls on the steering wheel.
                Carputer Pics
                Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

Dude, just purchase one of those pioneer steering wheel remotes from ebay and use that in conjunction with an IRMAN and Girder. Frodo has even written an early version of a Girder file for Frodoplayer. good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X