Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using dvd indash touchscreen for pc

how can i get this done?

ive got a kenwood ddx-7015 which is touchscreen in every mode from tuner, dvd, sirius, mp3/wma, etc. but why doesn't the touchscreen work when i put my pc into the a/v input?

the screen shows up well and nearly legible, better with some tweaking, but why cant i hit the start button with my fingertip? the headunit allows me to choose between a kenwood navigation ($1800 msrp) or a third party (carpc $50, so far). who and where do i look for support on this? is it a kenwood driver, a microsoft win me driver, or a third party company?

little help please.

Originally posted by morgan06
    how can i get this done?

ive got a kenwood ddx-7015 which is touchscreen in every mode from tuner, dvd, sirius, mp3/wma, etc. but why doesn't the touchscreen work when i put my pc into the a/v input?

the screen shows up well and nearly legible, better with some tweaking, but why cant i hit the start button with my fingertip? the headunit allows me to choose between a kenwood navigation ($1800 msrp) or a third party (carpc $50, so far). who and where do i look for support on this? is it a kenwood driver, a microsoft win me driver, or a third party company?

little help please.

ermm do you have a data connection to your PC from the touchscreen or are you just connecting the TV out from your Pc to the A/V in?

Comment

just the tv out to the av in. why?

wait, let me guess. this is like doing every other stupid mod to my car, ive got more motivation than research and planning?

Comment

I am trying to not be patronising here, honestly, but how did you expect the touch data to get back to the PC? Do you understand how a touchscreen works with a PC?

You need a serial or USB data link back to the PC to tell it which part of the screen was touched. All the VGA-touchscreens we all use have a usb connector you plug into the PC. Your TV out carries a TV siginal. It cannot tell the PC where you pressed ont he screen - that is impossible.

EDIT: i am so sorry but this is the funniest thing i ever heard

EDIT2: very, very sorry for laughing.

Comment

dont worry about patronizing me, i'm no softie and i'm no veteran, so bring it.

i did not know that my touchscreen would not work with a pc. either i'm going to have to figure out how a third party nav uses the kenwood touchscreen, or scrap the idea.

because im not putting a keyboard and mouse in a car, thats just stupid.

Comment

wait, let me guess. this is like doing every other stupid mod to my car, ive got more motivation than research and planning?
            You got it. You are good to have the motivation but please read up a little bit more.

Oh, please don't go fitting any nitrous anytime soon - would hate to hear you blew yourself up!

Comment

dont worry about patronizing me, i'm no softie and i'm no veteran, so bring it.

i did not know that my touchscreen would not work with a pc. either i'm going to have to figure out how a third party nav uses the kenwood touchscreen, or scrap the idea.

because im not putting a keyboard and mouse in a car, thats just stupid.
              a really neat way is just to get a laptop style trackpad and use that as you can disguise it anywhere and it just looks like part of the interior.

I wonder if you could patch a USB touch controller into the exixting touch panel ribbon cable??? This might be a bit dodgy though and **** it up.

Comment

instead of out and up like a flip out, this is a flush mount double din. i wouldnt be so worried about patching a cable into the ribbon, but the face of the unit is on a slide that moves the face down at an angle to insert discs. and that movement could cause problems and kenwood is known for using crap connections on its motorized units.

im going to find out how a third party would work, and go from there.

Comment

nearly any screen can be a touch screen.. the touch screen gizmo is a clear multi-layered attachment to the screen. this attachemnt requires it's own interface to the PC. --most often a USB but some might be serial or other.

You can probably tap off the TS and to the PC

The touchscreen on your kenwood ddx-7015 is not likely to be very different. The two pit falls are:
                  1) you'll void the warranty on the kenwood when you crack it open.
                  2) The touchscreen feed from screen to kenwood (internals) may not be "PC Ready"

If you decide to crack open your kenwood, look for three connection sets to the screen assembly.
                  1) Power (two conductors typicaly black/red or possibly white)
                  2) Display signal 5-8(more?)wires, they might be somewhat lighter gauge than the power.
                  3) Touchscreen wires will be fewer than the screen signal but more than the power.
                  •Micke

Comment

dont think i am ready to crack this thing open, ive only had it for a week now.

just spoke with kenwood, the nav input is separate from the a/v inputs, looks like a cd changer plug. kenwood touchscreen will not work with any other components other than theirs.

so that leaves me to a trackpad or to patch into the unit. if this was a cheap cd player unit i would be the first to hack it open and goto town, but for me to do it to this one it might take an enormous amount of frustration with other options or some liquid courage.

thanks for the input. i would like to find some more info on splicing into the touchscreen.

Comment

I totaly understand your position but don't be misslead

just spoke with kenwood, the nav input is separate from the a/v inputs, looks like a cd changer plug. kenwood touchscreen will not work with any other components other than theirs.
                      Is CompanyLineSpeak for "we dont' want you making our products more useful (valuable) without paying for it."

That said, I' was this "||" close to buying a similar setup my self. --"hacking the touchscreen" was the monster that scared me away from it too.

I'd eagerly pay more than they're asking if they'd port out the TS as well as video so I could simply slap in a PC behind it and be on my way.
                      •Micke

Comment

Originally posted by grepzen
                        nearly any screen can be a touch screen.. the touch screen gizmo is a clear multi-layered attachment to the screen. this attachemnt requires it's own interface to the PC. --most often a USB but some might be serial or other.

You can probably tap off the TS and to the PC

The touchscreen on your kenwood ddx-7015 is not likely to be very different. The two pit falls are:
                        1) you'll void the warranty on the kenwood when you crack it open.
                        2) The touchscreen feed from screen to kenwood (internals) may not be "PC Ready"

If you decide to crack open your kenwood, look for three connection sets to the screen assembly.
                        1) Power (two conductors typicaly black/red or possibly white)
                        2) Display signal 5-8(more?)wires, they might be somewhat lighter gauge than the power.
                        3) Touchscreen wires will be fewer than the screen signal but more than the power.

For the touchscreen you will normally have 4 wires together coming from the film covering the screen. You may be able to just pop off the front of the bezel and see them. Digitalww sell USB touch controllers that might work with it. Also, if you can disconnect the cable from the Kenwood board and lleave it turned off (use a normal monitor and pretend you see the pic on the kenwood screen) there will be no risk to any of the electronics whiel you test it out as the touch overlay is just a series of wires runngn through the screen.

I am completely guessing here as this is how i would make it if it was me (yeah i am baing lazy by not searching how a touchscreen works)...
                        I think the touch overlay consists of 2 wires, 1 for horizonatal position, one for vertical position. The four wire outputs are simply wires conencted to the ends of these wires. so you just have to play around with the usb controller until it works properly. If anyone really knows how these things work then please clarify. I too hungry to hang around and search....

Comment

Working...
                        X