Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for input device - Volume, Pause Play

Hi.

I'm looking for something I can mount on my dash with the basic necessities for controling a media computer. I basically want to have things like pause, play, stop, as well as volume and channel controls. Basically the stuff you'd have on a remote control, only I would like it in a mountable format. (I already loose the remote control at home, I'd rather not be searching for one while driving)

If anyone could offer any ideas, that would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve
    Why would anybody want to be stuck driving with a roof over their head?

Ragtops all the way!

To be completely unhelpful, I'm constructing one for the 'headunit' I'm building by taking a USB game pad apart and mounting the circuit board with it's buttons sticking out the front. You can then program the buttons to do what you want. My volume control will be a Griffin Powermate.
    AstraMac

Power a Mac mini from 12v: Here
    Front end status: Here

Comment

I replaced the knob and stalk of my stickshift with a 12 button joystik.[IMG]
      Attached Files
      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

The first "off-the-shelf" solution I can think of is a Griffen Powermate.
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Originally posted by iKenndac
          To be completely unhelpful, I'm constructing one for the 'headunit' I'm building by taking a USB game pad apart and mounting the circuit board with it's buttons sticking out the front. You can then program the buttons to do what you want. My volume control will be a Griffin Powermate.

Yeah. I may end up having to construct mine myself. Or I may go with a autocan autopc instead. Either way....somebody should make a computer control headunit
          Why would anybody want to be stuck driving with a roof over their head?

Ragtops all the way!

Comment

NaviVoice. Nuff said.
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Get a mountible car audio remote like this one: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...d-r600_big.jpg

It snaps on to the mount at a verticle angle (as shown) and horizontally, plus you can pull it off the mount to hold it or give to a passenger. I have mine mounted to my center console next to my shifter so I can press it with my thumb while holding the shift knob.

Then just get an IR-Man and use Girder to make it work with the PC.

I have a Pioneer HU too, so my remote works for volume/mute/radio, and most of the buttons don't do anything to the HU when it is on AUX mode, so those are all linked to the PC via IR-Man/Girder.

Comment

http://thebassbin.co.uk/shop/product...ts_id/981.html

Kenwood Sterring Wheel remote + IRMAN

or THIS pioneer one..
                http://thebassbin.co.uk/shop/product...ts_id/169.html

OR

Wire the standard factory one into a keyboard controller, that's what I am doing..

EDIT: wow that's weird... just did a search on google for those to give some URLs.. the link I gave is a little shop I go past on the way from work...
                Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Here's the one I actually use (more buttons). It only comes with the P1R.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/7b/93/c7_1_b.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                    Wire the standard factory one into a keyboard controller, that's what I am doing..

EDIT: wow that's weird... just did a search on google for those to give some URLs.. the link I gave is a little shop I go past on the way from work...

I have an ipac2 keyboard emulator for sale if you want to go that route. pm me
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43523 im making mine :-D

Comment

if possible, you could always use the stock knobs =)

Check my sig...
                        Stealth OEM spyder
                        1204 dot net!

Comment

Hehehe
                          I'm doing almost the same, except more of a permanent non-software related thing. You know those logitech keyboards with play/pause/volume and stuff? Well thats what I'm using in conjunction with a gamepad. I've modded a sidewinder gamepad to use the buttons on there to directly hit the buttons on the keyboard (by bridging the connection). That way I dont have to use any wierd software or plugins for my media, just the keyboard software, and I get onscreen effects aswell.

Comment

Hello All,

Question is : Any updates on a simple non ir media control. ie vol/ff/rew. Thats all.

As you may notice, its my first post today and I have already built and installed my car PC in 1 month. This site is so useful when search through and I found most of the answers I needed already from start to finish without posting!!!. I have got my PC running off M1- ATX power supply fine, remotely switching on two apline amps, XP Pro MCE 2005 , 80 Gb HD 1 Gb memory, 4 USB 2.0, Wifi, CDRW, Lilliput touchscreen moulded into the Focus dash exactly the same as Stevie G's etc.

The main reason is installed the pc is for mp3's for now, running off media center 2005 and its great but the control buttons on-screen are too small and now I need help with conrolling volume, forward track, backtrack and thats it. In one 'jog wheel with buttons' control , usb. I have seen the griffin powermate volume control and thats nearly what I want.

I dont want any ir control including mce control. Just a fixable panel with basic functions so I don't rely on the touchscreen. Any help greatly received.

Thanks

Comment

i have schematics for a serial input. either 14, or 15 buttons. im currently building the one for 14. im going to make a "head unit" to control all my stuff.

when i find the plans, i will post em up, they are barried in my file structure.
                              1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                              Pictures
                              Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X