retractable keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retractable keyboard

How could I go about designing a keyboard that sits under the passenger seat of my car, that has a retractable cable. Basically if a person in my car wanted to search for a song or visit a website they just reach below the seat and grab the keyboard, when they are done, the cable retracts to there are no messy cables showing. Can anyone help me implement this?
    My OLD carputer page
    My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

Originally posted by Moneyfink
    How could I go about designing a keyboard that sits under the passenger seat of my car, that has a retractable cable. Basically if a person in my car wanted to search for a song or visit a website they just reach below the seat and grab the keyboard, when they are done, the cable retracts to there are no messy cables showing. Can anyone help me implement this?
    the easiest way i can think of is to use a sliding keyboard tray or arm with a retractable USB cable. zip tie the original keyboard wire just behind the keyboard and use the retractable USB part from there to the PC.

Comment

Or you could get the power cord retract mechanism from an old canister-style (non-upright) vacuum cleaner.

Comment

Go wireless.
        VIA MII 10000 - 512MB Ram - Dual 2.5" drives, Xenarc 700TSV, Panasonic CW-8132-B, Opus 150, Audigy 2 NX, PowerMate, IOADR1610 10 Relay card

Comment

wireless and batteries, I am not a fan
          My OLD carputer page
          My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

Comment

I replace the two AAA batteries in my wireless keyboard on average every six months.

Batteries are not a big deal...

Comment

Yes, that's generally true for keyboards...if he's in a cold climate though, he may have problems with the batteries when it gets really really cold.

Comment

Working...
              X