Connecting lilliput's IR receiver to the PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting lilliput's IR receiver to the PC

Considering the simplicity of a Lirc IR receiver like the one on http://www.lirc.org/images/schematics.gif, has anyone ever tried connecting the Lilliput's internal IR-receiver to the serial port?

Combined with Girder, this would be such an easy way to add remote control to the carpc!
    CarPC status: HW all done, SW needs tweaked.
    Hardware: VIA MII-12K, 512MB, 60GB 2.5", CW-8123 DVD-CDRW, 7" Lilli ts, Opus 90W, BU-353 GPS, 802.11b PCI, USB bluetooth dongle, AverMedia AverTV Cardbus Plus, Morex Cubid 3677
    Software: RR, MM/FD

Hmm... That's a pretty cool idea really. I'm sure someone could get pretty creative with something like that, would be handy to use for extra buttons since the touchscreen is just not that easy to use while driving for some things. Though the wirelessness of it wouldn't really matter I guess, could just use a number pad to do the same thing...

[/thinking out loud]
    Zen Fat Loss

Comment

I can't find any numbers on the lilli's IR receiver chip (anyone?), but I bet it has a plain open collector output, just like the one on http://www.lirc.org/images/schematics.gif

This would mean that it's not even necessary to disconnect the lilli's own internals. A single shielded wire between pin 10 of the switch pcb (see http://www.tmz.com/wrx/lilliputLCD.html) and pin 1 of the carpc's serial port would do the trick.

Edit: There's a useless number "119" embossed in my chip's housing.
      Hardware: VIA MII-12K, 512MB, 60GB 2.5", CW-8123 DVD-CDRW, 7" Lilli ts, Opus 90W, BU-353 GPS, 802.11b PCI, USB bluetooth dongle, AverMedia AverTV Cardbus Plus, Morex Cubid 3677

Comment

Pretty the majority of all IR receivers on every device (even 15 year old VCRs) have the same three pin setup. Ground, Data and VCC. I am pretty sure you can just use the schematic that you posted (ignoring the VCC, since I'm sure the Lilliput has power taken care already) and tap the Data directly to your serial port.

Comment

Hey this a great idea. Too bad i already cut a hole for a seperate one in my dash bezel
          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

The lilli IR eyeball works like a charm with Girder!

I'm getting cool hex data from all the remotes I have, including the one that came with my lilli

Comment

Working...
            X