Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generic MP3 player emulator ( iPod, Zen etc )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic MP3 player emulator ( iPod, Zen etc )

ccsnet gave me a good idea about making iPod emulator.
    Here is the deal. 1 end is the female dock for mp3 player (let's say iPod for example). Another end is the USB socket A cable which goes to PC. PC runs simple program which emulates responses as they were coming from the real MP3 player (Zen or iPod for ex). All data like song title etc...
    On a PC screen you may just show a visual replica of a particular player. And of course emulate all buttons and stuff.
    This way you may connect many devices already developed for those MP3 players and use PDA or PC in a car the same way.
    I'll do simple proto in a software section to show off.
    How about that ?
    Car pc integration with ease
    Car mediacenter

I'm pretty sure I saw an ad for a iPod emulator on PocketPCs (touchwheel and all).

When it comes to using the PC for that, although cool, I'm more of a file person than anything... but I'm sure there's a lot of people that would like that.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

That emulator was only software. I want both things. Hardware and software. It would make "perfect" ipod out of cool PC for instance. It would be cool to use all those gadgets in a PC world as well...
      Car mediacenter

Comment

Dont forget the interface is more than just the audio... its control and display info as well...

Terran
        My Project Site

Comment

What you mean ? I don't want to do anything with audio. The hardware/software is for commands only.
          Car mediacenter

Comment

Originally posted by jbors
            What you mean ? I don't want to do anything with audio. The hardware/software is for commands only.
            Do you not want to run the audio through as well ? A combined Aux port then ?

Terran
            My Project Site

Comment

Audio will be wired into ipod connector from the regular 3.5 mm jack. I'll post a drawing later...
              Car mediacenter

Comment

Here you go:
                Car mediacenter

Comment

Ok.... but I believe from what I have seen that the IPOD interface or what ever it is carries the audio too meaning there is no need to have the 3.5 jack.... do you see what I mean ?

Terran
                  My Project Site

Comment

But you have to take that audio from PC and direct it to the ipod connector so the device on that end think that it is ipod in fact...
                    Car mediacenter

Comment

But you have to take that audio from PC and direct it to the ipod connector so the device on that end think that it is ipod in fact...
                      Ahhh.... of course...

Terran
                      My Project Site

Comment

Here you go:
                        I don't quite get what you're up to, but you can't just shove an anologue audio waveform into USB like that. You're going to need an ADC, USB controller chip, and a bit of logic in there.

Comment

Audio comes _from_ PC into that cable which goes to "MP3 Female Connector". It is done to use only 1 wire instead of 2 coming from PC -> Connector.
                          Car mediacenter

Comment

Aha. The way it's drawn, with the connector and 3.5mm jack on one end and USB on the other threw me off. My bad.

And reading the thread again, I now get what you're proposing. Interesting idea. I'm curious though, what kind of accessories are you thinking of that you couldn't or isn't worth implementing directly on the PC?

Comment

Well, it is emulator right ? It means you can use it instead of the device. With all original gadgets it is compatible with. So I assume all thos 28K gadgets you can use with iPod will be usefull.
                              Everything else is up to your fantasy...
                              Car mediacenter

Comment

Working...
                              X