USB Hibernation Blues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Hibernation Blues

OK...here's something I was just reading on PC World's website...I've noticed lots of people shun "Hibernation" cuz they have a hard time getting their USB devices to work again after they start back up...

and now...THE FIX! (apologies to PC World for the quote)

Hibernation Blues

The Hassle: When my system comes back from hibernation or standby mode, some of my USB devices just keep on dozing.

The Fix: That happens because Windows XP wants to conserve power, so it turns off the USB root hubs. You can change the default setting: Open Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance (if in Category view), System, Hardware, Device Manager, and click Universal Serial Bus controllers. Double-click USB Root Hub, choose the Power Management tab, and then uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Repeat this procedure with each occurrence of a USB root hub. On a notebook, this trick will cost you some battery life.

Haven't had this problem as yet, but will keep it in my memory bank.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

thank you so much for this,
      this has been a plague on my life for the past year or so
      mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
      Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Comment

On the devices I have had this problem with, that did not fix it.

My solution is find another device.
        Is this where the witty comment goes?
        97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

hmm haven't had this problem yet either and it would keep my laptop auto power-on module from functioning correctly.... lol but good info USB power off in hibernation is my friend...

Comment

Working...
          X