G Force measurer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G Force measurer

did a quick search but could nt see anything, is their a product, harware and software that you can use on the car PC that measures G force like the standard one in the R 34 skylines? would look really good!!!
    all fitted but its having a wobler!

Phidgets accelerometer.

Comment

Originally posted by wi77iam
      cheers mate, just what im after, is there a cheaper version, preferably in the UK? what software would i use with this?

Comment

They dont work.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris31
          They dont work.
          whys that mate? i really would like this to work, has anyone got one working?

Comment

http://www.motormate.com/

heh.. doesn't hook up to a computer but still useful
            Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
            GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Comment

Originally posted by pardoe16V
              I have seen them work in other applications. My experience indicates that you need to put some thought into buying the right one and setting it up with the right filters. BTW, the airbags in your car operate off of an accelerometer.

Comment

I have bought one ages ago based on the ADXL chips.

Parking the car on a slope will give you a reading, depends how steep. The acc meter will read the earths g. During hard acceleration the car tilts upward, this will give you extra g reading.

Same as reading latteral g's, car tilts sideway when cornering hard. You probably get higher g reading from a citroen 2cv than a sport car with hard suspension.

The only way to get around it is to make sure the device stays horizontal on the ground regardless of the cars position/braking/acc/turning.

It can still be useful for car tweaking but you cannot compare readings with different car as some have stiffer/softer springs.

...this device wont give you true readings of the car performance.

Comment

Parking the car on a slope will give you a reading, depends how steep. The acc meter will read the earths g. During hard acceleration the car tilts upward, this will give you extra g reading.

Same as reading latteral g's, car tilts sideway when cornering hard. You probably get higher g reading from a citroen 2cv than a sport car with hard suspension.

The only way to get around it is to make sure the device stays horizontal on the ground regardless of the cars position/braking/acc/turning.

It can still be useful for car tweaking but you cannot compare readings with different car as some have stiffer/softer springs.

anyone know how the skylines do this then?

Comment

anyone know how the skylines do this then?

No idea, thats what I would like to know as well.

Put it this way I dont think the skyline device cost 30, Im sure its a far more sophisticated unit.

Comment

Gyro mounted accelerometer
                      My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                      NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

No idea, thats what I would like to know as well.

Put it this way I dont think the skyline device cost 30, Im sure its a far more sophisticated unit.
                        oh yeah definatly, i just love the screens it displays on aswell, there like a cross iirc and they start green go yellow then red? i might be thinking of sumthing else, not 100% sure,

can anyone sead sum light on this?

Comment

cheers mate, just what im after, is there a cheaper version, preferably in the UK? what software would i use with this?
                          They do work, quite well in fact. This is a usb device and you can write your own program to display acceleration. I don't think you can get it anywhere cheaper.

Comment

So why do you say they don't work. They do exactly what they are intended to do - which is measure acceleration. Now this acceleration can be due to many things - tilting (gravity) or cornering (lateral) or forward motion or braking. The problems in measuring a car's performance are eliminating the effects due to gravity and then capturing the right measurements due to everything else, since these accelerations are instantaneous.

Tilt can be eliminated by taking measurements on a flat surface, or mounting the accelerometer on a stabilized platform. You could also process the measurements to cancel any effects from tilting if you knew the tilt angle. Instantaneous accelerations can be integrated over time in software. These things are done all the time to give good measurements of vehicle performance.

Comment

If all you want is forward acceleration of the car then you might be able to get the speed data and compute the acceleration from this. I am unsure how accurate this data is, but if it is accurate, it would work. I am unsure how the skyline works, but it's possible that it only uses one axis and does not account for gravity. With the phidgets dual-axis accelerometer you should be able to account for gravity on slopes. If you set the y-axis through the roof and floor and the x-axis out the front and back of the car, then any acceleration on the y-axis would be due to gravity (except for higher frequency acceleration due to bumps and such which could be filtered out). Since you know that gravity should always be 1G downward then you can compute the angle between gravity and the y-axis. This tells you the cars orientation with respect to a global coordinate system.

Comment

Working...
                              X