Recommendations : Voice Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations : Voice Control

Long time reader, first time poster, blah blah blah....

So here's the scoop; in my opinion, there has not been enough attention to voice control on this site. Let's face it, the whole reason everyone has gone through this effort is to be one step closer to the "Good morning, Michael" feel from Knight Rider. =-)

With that in mind, I'd like to see how far we can take this post and potentially create a new subsection (or sticky thread) for voice control applications and ideas dedicated to all the Hal 2000 loving, KITT crazed lunatics like myself (see, my first post and already delusions of grandeur).

I've just begun my Carputer endeavor so my setup is meager but effective.

Hardware:
    HP e42 pc (mounted in glove compartment)
    SP-716 In-dash touch screen LCD
    OnDigital remote/keyboard (using Girder)
    Standard radio shack boundary mic

Software (as it relates to voice)
    Windows XP
    Realize Voice
    Microsoft Plus!

----------------------

Why these two apps you may wonder?

Well, Realize contains all the functionality I've been looking for pertaining to control. It has built-in windows and IE navigation and contains user customizable macro features that range from shortcuts, key commands, and even TTS responses! (just for fun)
    "How are you today, Hal?"
    "I'm completely operational and all my circuits are functioning perfectly"
    (what? you guys never watched 2001?)

The one and only reason to use Plus! is the voice command feature it comes with as it pertains to Windows Media. Using the embedded speech engine, it will analyze all music in your library and use ID3 tags to allow the user to make general voice commands.
    "Hal, play artist Aerosmith" (bam, every Aerosmith song cues up)
    "Hal, play genre Classic Rock" (everything with the genre tag classic rock queues up)
    Only drawback to this is, of course, it uses Windows Media (yuck)

I would love to get this kind of functionality independent of windows media if anyone has some suggestions. Or please just post your success stories in making your own car that talks back to you!!!
    02 Acura RSX
    Aspre Revo
    7" IMO USB Monitor
    XBMC
    Homemade control knob
    Mobile Internet via Blackberry

Progress?
    <0%----------Infiinite>
    This project will never be complete

Comment

At first glance, definitely doesn't contain the functionality I'm looking for.
      02 Acura RSX
      Aspre Revo
      7" IMO USB Monitor
      XBMC
      Homemade control knob

Progress?
      <0%----------Infiinite>

Comment

It certainly does the first, but no id3 tag analization (So only simple "Next song" "volume up" commands), but about as good as you'll get for now I think.

-arebelspy
        See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
        Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
        i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

FYI: XP Tablet edition has voice recognition built in. I've never tried it to see how good it works though.

Comment

It's not bad, it's like a dumbed down more basic version of Dragon Naturally Speaking..

-arebelspy

Comment

Originally posted by wolfebaine
              At first glance, definitely doesn't contain the functionality I'm looking for.

PM ol33l and see what he's adding for the new version, to be called PowerVoice.

You may even be able to get him to add the options you want.

Comment

Regarding last post:

1) boris (aka ol33l, creator of navivoice) is banned for now, so dont expect a quick reply.

2) he hasn't updated navivoice in forever and afaik has no immediate plans to do so (busy with senior year of school)

I have to admit though the jump to artist/song/album/whatever via a recognition of ID3 tags (or even better file name IMO or both) would be awesome.

-arebelspy

Comment

Wow What happened there with ol33l getting banned?

Right now, between Realize and Plus, I have total PC control between the touchscreen and my voice. The keyboard is rarely necessary.

However, Im trying to get inventive with the microphone. What's best for noise cancellation?
                  02 Acura RSX
                  Aspre Revo
                  7" IMO USB Monitor
                  XBMC
                  Homemade control knob

Progress?
                  <0%----------Infiinite>

Comment

Search on terms "best microphone" or "noise cancelling"
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Ooooh...Nice burn
                      02 Acura RSX
                      Aspre Revo
                      7" IMO USB Monitor
                      XBMC
                      Homemade control knob

Progress?
                      <0%----------Infiinite>

Comment

Hi Wolfebaine,

I agree with you. I think alot more of the setups should focus alot more on voice control & TTS. The whole reason I'm motivated to do the in car setup is to get some useful time out of my lame boring commute everyday.

As you can tell from my post count, I'm just planning my setup, and I want to start with a no screen installation at first, a) to break up the cost b) I would like the challenge to try to make my usage all through audio (I'm not installing GPS at first too :P)

Anywho, I am currently actively working on a voice plugin to RssBandit, an open source RSS reader. You'll be able to speak various commands and have it read to you what new items are in your feed, unread items, etc, and have it read to you what ever new item you wish to recieve. Also I'd like to extend it to Podcasting, so any podcasts/audio feeds can have their audio automatically downloaded, say before hand before your commute or whatever when you're at your house within your WiFi range, and later on listen to whatever podcasts you'd like that you subscribed - all voice commanded. I'll post something up when I get this to a usable state - hopefully soon

As far as Voice Recognition being included in the tablet XP version, well M$'s Speech SDK has it's engine included in it for free.

Comment

Sounds good! Looking forward to it.
                          02 Acura RSX
                          Aspre Revo
                          7" IMO USB Monitor
                          XBMC
                          Homemade control knob

Progress?
                          <0%----------Infiinite>

Comment