Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffin Powermate = No Boot!

Hey Guys,
    Got a silver powermate, works fine but from 1 major point..
    If i try to power up or restart my laptop (XP Pro) with the PM plugged in it just hangs with a black screen.
    I have to pull the battery to get it going again, then get the 'windows did not start proper' msg.

Dont understand it as the drivers seem ok because the thing works fine if i plug it in once the lapton is running..
    Any advive? Cheers!
    PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Sounds like an USB issue. I have seen devices that make computers not post/boot. Does it fail to post/boot or fail when windows starts to load?
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

it gets through post ok but locks before i get the first windows screen. i have tried reinstalling the drivers with no luck and dont know what to try next.
      the light on the PM stays on right till the pc shuts down but never comes on while loading. lights right up if i plug it in after windows starts. all my other usb devices work fine.
      i will see what happens on my desktop computer when i get home!
      PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

Right, I tried it on my home pc (same software setup) and it works just fine.

After some messing about i found a option in my laptops (packard bell) bios called 'usb legacy support'. If i set this to 'disable' the thing will boot and work!

So, now my question is.. Will i be ok to leave this disabled without affecting any of my other usb devices? ie. do i need 'legacy support'?

I am running..
        usb hdd
        touchscreen
        4 port hub/
        Griffin powermate
        usb gps mouse
        usb-serial converter
        phone charger

I am looking around but cant find much about what usb legacy support is!

Comment

Disableing legacy support will affect USB keyboard and mouse (as well as usb HDD) outside the windows environment, i.e., Blues Screen when it says 'press any key to continue' or in DOS. The legacy support allows the PC to use usb devices before windows loads. You may not be able to get into BIOS with a usb keyboard if you need to. Other than that, you'll be cool without it enabled. Probably what was happening is the pc was trying to see your Griffin as an input device and tanking.

Comment

I had weird problems until I put my powermate on a powered USB hub. You might not be giving it enough power.

Comment

Working...
            X