$10 volume knob fabbed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $10 volume knob fabbed

Well I finally got around to making a volume knob for my PC. I gutted a $10 mouse and made a shaft come out the side where the wheel once was that im going to attach a knob to. Im using Volumouse software and everything works perfect!! Volumouse is highly configurable, and i have it programmed to feel just like an OEM knob. Even in roadrunner it moves the volume slider on my frontend!! I still need to install it in the car but the hardware/software config is complete. Here are some pics of the almost completed hardware hack
    Attached Files
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Haha... My Pioneer deck took a massive dump on me. So I been just ripping the crap outa my car apart... Glassing, fabing, moding, measureing and all of that. I allready had a mouse waiting for doing a volume knob... and I just thought of using the knob off my pioneer stereo! And the perfect spot! My old cigarette lighter port... and its allready setup to have a blue halo around the knob! Which will be located under the screen... kinda not in a good area, but it will fill up that hole that I never use and help out with a nice clean install!
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
    ABIT NF-M2 nView | AMD Athlon64 FX62 Windsor | nVidia GeForce 6150 | Realtek ALC883 7.1DTS | Vista x64
    RF Power T162S | RF Power T162S | 2x RF Power T212D2 | RF Power T8004 | RF Power T20001bd | RF 3SIXTY.2

Comment

Have you found any good knobs?

Comment

I found a few at radio shack but I may hold out for an OEM knob. Ive been looking for a scrapped mustang radio to get it really OEM. Ill be sure to update this thread when I complete the hack. Im busy, plus im working on carPC version 2 myself. Ive got a thread going on that too.

Comment

I have a mouse very similar to yours with the mechanical wheel. Have you figured out / found anything to use as a knob? Currently I just have the wheel. What is it that you have in yours? Almost looks like a drill bit.

This would by far be the easiest route I think. Some have said to replace a part when doing this with an ALPS part? Is that needed?
          Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

You have many talents BLK Is it just an ordinary mouse ya'll talking about (not optical) ?

That looks like a drill bit you're using as a shaft INVENTIVE!

I'm going to follow this one.
            OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
            Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
            Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
            BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
            M2-ATX Power Supply
            RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
            Windows XP SP3

Comment

I just did this mod on an old USB mouse that had been worn out. Volumouse works great and it is in the truck working great. I used a chrome knob off of a bass guitar.

The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

Please take a picture

Comment

Fixer that is SWEEEET! Thanks for the pictures. What did you use here:

I have a similar mouse but I'm wondering what to use for the shaft part..

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340 View Post
                    Fixer that is SWEEEET! Thanks for the pictures. What did you use here:

I have a similar mouse but I'm wondering what to use for the shaft part..
                    I used the 13mm 3/8 drive deep piece from one of these socket organizer but in grey. The black part is the original wheel with the rubber coating removed. The shaft is hollow and fit almost perfectly over the end of the original wheel and the 13mm (1/2")is the same size inside the knob.
                    The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

I used a drill bit for testing it out on mine but now it has been replaced with 1/8" aluminum rod. The hack is really easy to do, just get volumouse, configure it to work how you want it. Then start tearing down the mouse. I glued the right and left 'click' buttons in open position so they can never be pushed by accident, and in my mouse was able to pry off the little wheel that the sensor reads and put it onto a shaft.

One thing to take into consideration, the sensor needs to be in a dark place to work, while testing I noticed if its near a bright light source it would lose functionality. Put it in the dark and it works again. So it needs to be concealed from light to work correct.

Comment

Here is the one I have:

How did you guys get it so the part I'm pointing at stays in place? With out it being in the mouse housing it moves / falls right off when I touch it.

Comment

Anyone??

Comment

I used epoxy and fabbed up a holder for it. Kind of hard to explain but you need to mount the PCB then mount a 'tube' for you input shaft. The input shaft needs to turn the mouse wheel and on the other side have a knob. Get creative and it will all come together

are you putting it in a tbird?

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

Originally posted by blk02si View Post
                              are you putting it in a tbird?

No, a Dodge Ram

Comment

Working...
                              X