USB Keyboard encoder - Interested ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Keyboard encoder - Interested ?

I've just made a little USB Keyboard. It can have have anywhere between 1-32 buttons.

The board itself is really small, about 2"x1". It has a mini usb connector on it, that u connnect to your PC's USB port, no drivers required. there are several connectors on the board that you can wire a switch/button/whatever onto to use the key.

You can use these keys as shortcuts in windows/winamp/autoit whatever.

I can even have it support media keys like - play,pause,vol,next track, sleep/wake, www, browser back/front, refresh, windows key etc....

Depending on how many people want one, i can start building them and would sell them for real cheap. like $30 OBO...

So, before i actually start making em, i want an approximate head count of how many people would be interested.
    95 Mustang GT + Mach 460 Audio
    Lilliput EBY701 7" TS LCD w/ 4-way arm
    BU353 USB GPS
    iGuidance 3 + Road Runner + LSX Void2
    200W Inverter
    Intel Core Duo 1.6GHz T2050, 1GB DDR2, 80GB, DVDRW

hmmm.. definately interesting and affordable. It would be great if it directly supported front ends so you could press a button for nav and have roadrunner bring up the nav screen, same thing for music, etc...

(I am thinking Audi style buttons around the shifter could be hooked up to it)

Comment

i think your idea of frontends, would depend on the front end having button associations

so they keyboard isnt any different than a normal one, but u'd need the front end to support key presses

Comment

Photos? More info? How many switches can be connected?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

for frontend support, all you really need to do is make a shortcut key in windows/autoit/frontend.

for eg. if i set a global ket in winamp, lets say "CTRL 1" to play a song, all you do is take the 'CTRL' button and the '1' button on this keyboard and hook it up to a switch.

I can customize the keys on a per-user basis, i.e you can tell me "i want these particular keys on it".

Like i mentioned before, i can probably do anything between 1-32 keys. In fact, i can do a 144 key device also, but its not cost effective, plus i dont see it useful for this application.

I have a pic, which is "indicative" of how this will be. In fact, it will be a little smaller than the prototype in the picture. I've placed it on the keypad of a regular IBM keyboard for size comparision.
          Attached Files
          BU353 USB GPS
          200W Inverter

Comment

Nice as that is, and I thinks it brilliant, is it not just emulating a keyboard?

Can it send back codes that are not usually found on a keyboard so its not going to interact with the core OS at all but its scancodes could be seen by say girder?
            Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Originally posted by lez
              Nice as that is, and I thinks it brilliant, is it not just emulating a keyboard?

Can it send back codes that are not usually found on a keyboard so its not going to interact with the core OS at all but its scancodes could be seen by say girder?
              lol, its not emulating a keyboard, it IS a keyboard =)

so far i've been able to send usual keyboard scancodes, and some media stuff scancodes (workin with media player for now).. i havent really played around with girder too much, but i can pretty much send any "hex" code from the device to the pc. i think it should be possible
              BU353 USB GPS
              200W Inverter

Comment

Originally posted by gagan512
                lol, its not emulating a keyboard, it IS a keyboard =)

err, its not is it, its not 12 inches by 8 with 102 buttons on it............

Its either a keyboard emulator, or scancode encoder, but until you can write email on it etc etc

bloody usefull bit of kit though, and a neat looking design. whats the black square top left in the picture?

Comment

Did you make that really cool PCB, or buy it? I know some out there do work in that field, so they have professional PCB makers that label it and machine drop in pieces and all that jazz, just wondering if you were one, or are very talented with laying out traces!
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                    err, its not is it, its not 12 inches by 8 with 102 buttons on it............

Its either a keyboard emulator, or scancode encoder, but until you can write email on it etc etc

bloody usefull bit of kit though, and a neat looking design. whats the black square top left in the picture?
                    open up you 12" 108 button keyboard, u'll find something as small as that on the top right corner.
                    The big right thing is the connector to the emulator im using to program it. it wont be there on he final board, its only for debugging.

Did you make that really cool PCB, or buy it? I know some out there do work in that field, so they have professional PCB makers that label it and machine drop in pieces and all that jazz, just wondering if you were one, or are very talented with laying out traces!
                    making you own PCB is really easy if you have a laser printer, and some patience. google a little and you'll find several links on how to do it yourself. i've been able to do very fine traces of upto 1mil. of course, once its in mass production i'll be sending it out to a fab
                    BU353 USB GPS
                    200W Inverter

Comment

making you own PCB is really easy if you have a laser printer, and some patience. google a little and you'll find several links on how to do it yourself. i've been able to do very fine traces of upto 1mil. of course, once its in mass production i'll be sending it out to a fab
                      by laser printer, do you mean inkjet or laser kind of laser, or laser as something by Universal Laser, a laser cutter/rasterer? I have both, so curious!
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
                        by laser printer, do you mean inkjet or laser kind of laser, or laser as something by Universal Laser, a laser cutter/rasterer? I have both, so curious!
                        chk out this link to start off with

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/gooteepc.htm

http://www.wd5gnr.com/pcb.htm

http://www.qsl.net/ve2emm/pcb/pcb2e.html
                        BU353 USB GPS
                        200W Inverter

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
                          he means something like a hp4l etc.

Its called toner transfer , a novel way to maknig pcb's and one I have used, to some success.

Their is a homemade pcb yahoo group, were looking at direct inkjet printing and its 'working' if used with the right inks.

Easiest toner transfer is to print (mirror the image) with the laser printer onto some glossy paper, the kind used for flyers(junk mail) or some photo papers(harder).

Then you iron it on, dont smudge, get it hot, dont steam, dont even use a staeam iron the holes cause dropout etc.

That gets the toner on the board, then etch.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Homebrew_PCBs

Comment

I use lazer/copier machine and iron transfer method with "Staples Picture" paper. The result is perfect everytime.
                            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                              I use lazer/copier machine and iron transfer method with "Staples Picture" paper. The result is perfect everytime.
                              yep, i use the exact same paper.
                              BU353 USB GPS
                              200W Inverter

Comment

Working...
                              X