DVD-ROM Power issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD-ROM Power issue

I have a DVD Rom that doesnt want to spin up and operate. It is connected to a usb 2.0 hub in the dash. I am powering the hub from the psu. now the hub works fine (bluetooth, gps, keyboard) but when i plug in the DVD-rom it never really spins up all the way. it only gets so fast then stops and starts again. the dvd-rom is connected to the hub with one usb cable and the power for the drive is coming from the same wire (+5) connected to the PSU for the USB hub. i have pulled the dvd rom from the car and connected to a wall outlet (using the AC\DC converter provided) and it spins up just fine. now clearly i have a power issue (current related) but i dont know where to start. I can only guess my next move is to purchase a 12 to 5 volt regulator rated at 3 amps (same as the AC\DC converter) and try that. The PSU (m1-atx) is rated at 10A for the 5V rail and i dont think i am over that limit. I have only a bluetooth dongle, gps, a mini keyboard, and occasionally a flash drive connected. Any suggestions?
    If its not broken, take it apart anyway to see how it works!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Progress [########O#] 90% - All but ODBII working!

[Old Projects]
    2000 Saturn SC2 - 100%
    2000 Sebring JXi - 90% - Dash mod went bad, sold car.

http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=10
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Or just get another powered hub. USB can only provide 500mA total.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

binary - yea thats the same one i was looking at. i tried building one out of some ICs (7805 5 volt regulators) but they just got hot. ill order one today

2K1Toaster - Do you think that would work when the DVD-Rom drive needs 2.5 Amps to spin up?

[Old Projects]
        2000 Saturn SC2 - 100%

Comment

Originally posted by linkyone View Post
          2K1Toaster - Do you think that would work when the DVD-Rom drive needs 2.5 Amps to spin up?
          What the hell kind of innefficient drive is that?! Laptop or Desktop drive?
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
            What the hell kind of innefficient drive is that?! Laptop or Desktop drive?
            Its a Lacie laptop DVD-DL R/RW in an external usb 2 case. Yea, i didnt think it would be this power hungry when i bought it, boy was i wrong! I just ordered the 5 volt, 3 Amp regulator, actually i bought 2, one for my hub as well. My car pc (where my 5V originates) and the hub (in the dash) are about 20 ft apart (wire length) so i think i am dropping some power across that kind of length. Ill install these regulators and see if anything improves.

[Old Projects]
            2000 Saturn SC2 - 100%

Comment

Working...
            X