Steering Wheel for Camry 06

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel for Camry 06

I want to keep the use of my steering wheel controls when I install my carPC. Ive read about a few options I have (PAc,Joypad 2.0, etc), but I cant really decide on the best option for me. I'm not too electrical savvy. Well I got a friend from a toyota dealership to get me this print out of the wireing for my Camry. I understand like 2% of it and I want to know which wire is for what etc and which app will be the better option to do. I know this pic is HUGE!!! but If I made it any smaller, the text would be unreadable.
    Attached Files

Well... hmm relize one thing to start with... this will require quite a bit of hacking and modification. You may want to practice.. or learn or something more about electronics first before attempting it on the car.

I have uploated a quick pick... I circled what I think is the wheel controls (its hard to tell at the given resolution) But what it looks like is the old head unit registered button presses based on change in resistance through the circuit. If you were to hack this wheel to use on a computer you would basically cut all that out, wire the buttons to a keyboard emulator such as the iPAC or equivelent and go from there....
    Attached Files
    Brown 2010

Comment

There. Sorry for the bad resoulution. so is that better?

Comment

LOL great!....

Yeah the switches on the steering wheel correspond to what i said and they are based on resistance.

What you would do if im reading the diagram correctly... ... is open up the conroller pad on the wheel and behind each switch cut the two leads and run a wire to the iPAC conroller.... from there it would turn the button press on the wheel into a keyboard mapped button.... therefore in RR or whatever front end you use, the keyboard key would then trigger lets say volume increase. Its probably not that bad a modification. it depends on how accessible the switches are and if you would have to remove them from their PCB etc.

The job would definatly require soldering... and probably detailed wiring (you want to know what wire goes where and then what it is into the iPAC controller (i use the iPAC as an example i know you can basiclaly jsut attach wires to it etc and what it does....but its the only one i know ) But if you like a challenge, i say go for it. If you are replacing your Head Unit, the controlls would end up being kinda useless anyway.

Good luck!
        Brown 2010

Comment

That's definately better!

Well it seems there is a volume up/down, and forwards/reverse, as well as a mode select.

As sidewalk said, you probably just want to cut away the crap down to just the buttons and their contacts. However, this circuit is probably soldered right to the back of the switches and sealed in plastic. Why make a removeable casing for a button assembly that will never need to be serviced and if it did, then it would be cheaper to just replace the unit! So I think without some fairly major hacking of the button area. Unless they did make a clasp together plastic case or screw assembly, you will have to work around the varying voltage outputs of the buttons. If it can be taken apart, then just solder it to a keyboard pad and emulate it.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

If it is the hard way, then the simplest method I can think of other than a PIC, would be to get a CMOS or TTL Analog-To-Digital chip that will take the resistance and change it into a good digital bit signal. Then a 5 bit out comparator so if it is between one of the 5 ranges it will send a high to one of it's out bits. That can be sent to a parrallel, serial (9pin or USB), or PS2. Even use that to send into a keyboard controller that then interfaces PS2 or USB.

That's the easiest I think of right now...
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

or if you dont like the sound of that....you could manufacture your own PCB, remount the switches with a bunch of output wires and use a iPAC or similar...
              Brown 2010

Comment

OK thanks a lot! but what is the PIC and PCB??

Comment

Check this thread out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=kalt

Comment

PCB is a printed circuit board

Anything you see in electronics that has resistors and such soldered to it is a PCB, the copper infrastructure is "printed" onto the board and the excess is etched out.
                    Brown 2010

Comment

Cool thanks alot. OK So I'm waiting on newegg to send me some parts. In the mean time, I will start messing around with the wheel controls. I will post up pics in a few days because I got midterms! Thanks to everyone who helped.

Comment

try this www.car2pc.com
                        this is much better, affordable and very reliable
                        check if your car listed there..
                        dsatx in voompc 2 case <HERE>

Comment

just check the website (well.. I think im nice)
                          http://www.car2pc.com/compatibility_full.html#toyota
                          your car is listed there, and there's adapter available to control your streering wheel
                          dsatx in voompc 2 case <HERE>

Comment

Will this work because I want to get rid of the head unit and replace it with a touchscreen.

Comment

I don't think so since the car2pc allows the radio to control the Pc

Comment

Working...
                              X