Ford Radio Rotary Encoder via PS/2 Mouse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Radio Rotary Encoder via PS/2 Mouse

I've taken the Volume knob from a Ford Radio. I asume this is a rotary encoder with a push switch.
    There are 2 pins for the push switch and 3 pins for the encoder. I know one of which goes to GND and I thought the other two would be ClockWise and Anti-ClockWise.

Can I rig this upto an old roller ball PS/2 mouse by replacing one of the recievers on an axis?

I've tried it but it did'nt seem to work and I think I've killed my Keyboard/Mouse/Screen switcher.

I am not sure as I have never atempted to hack a mouse but don't you have to ty it in to the scroll wheel?

Comment

won't work. The radio volume knob is a variable resistor, the mouse uses a hall effect switch. Not the same. Not by a mile. The mouse won't be able to read the vr.

Comment

I think it is a rotary encoder as it keeps turning forever and switches continuety from pin1+GND and pin2+GND.
        here's the insides:

If this is an encoder can it replace the optical enoder of the mouse?
        If not how could I wire it to mu CarPC?

Comment

Am i trying to connect the encoder to the wrong kind of mouse? Would this one work? It looks like the same mechanism?

Comment

Thought I'd give it a go but I think I've killed this mouse.
            It's USB. It lights up but does not react to any buttons or movement with or without the vol knob connected?

Comment

cool idea. wish i could help. seems like your doing everything right. the concept is easy and should work according to how you have it designed. but im not too sure thats the right rotary switch....i dont do componant level maintenance like that much so i really dont know what suggestions to offer.
              http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8.../positions.gif

Comment

Thanks anyway jester.

Comment

It works!
                  It was just my computers crapping out on me. USB ports are dying on BOTH!
                  Works fine on PS/2 though.

Comment

details & pics please ?
                    My install in Toyota Tacoma

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91579

Comment

Mouse encoder signals don't give a forward and a reverse. There are just two lines that pulse when the encoder sees light or dark. Direction is determined by which of the two signal lines occurs first when rotating.
                      ~Jimmy

Comment

0-0-7, Here's a simple pinout:

BEFORE

AFTER

Thanks Jimmy.

Comment

USB volume knob

I was recently experimenting with mouse rotary encoder too. Made rough sample:

The knob made of VHS head.

There is a program called autohotkey. It alows to map hotkeys to wheelUP/DOWN, buttons.

Comment

I like the look and the smoothness would be great. How do you have AutoHotkey setup? (post your script here) I'm using it already but want to know how to do THIS.

Comment

Hi. was'nt playing alot with autohotkeys. what about someting like that
                              wheelUP::F11
                              wheelDOWN:F12
                              Lbutton+wheelUP:assign for scrool up)
                              Lbutton+whelDOWN:assign for scrool down)
                              Rbutton+wheelUP:assign zoom in)
                              Rbutton+wheelDOWN:assign zoom out)
                              ???
                              I actualy meade hotkeys just for volume.
                              i wander if u can buy those encoders in shop separatly.
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X