need help: Using Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help: Using Laptop

Ok i plan on using my old laptop for my carputer. I'm going to install it under the drivers seat and i will hook up the power chord to the inverter which is hooked into the 10A cigarette lighter hole. My question is this:

How do i turn on and off the laptop without having to bring it out from underneath the drivers seat each time. Basically, what i want to know is how do i turn it on, what happens when i turn off the car.

This is my very first post and i just registered 2 minutes ago.

What do i need (im looking for the cheapest solution) and where do i get it?

Thanks!

I have the same setup, but my laptop is in a docking station which has a easy access to the power switch. That would be an idea to find a something similar. Although, it is not a good idea to have a computer under the seats. There's FAQ informing you about it.

Nothing will happen when you turn the car of, unless the cigarett lighter is turned off. Then of course your laptop will run on its own batteries.
    Me, myself and my car

Comment

Check out the faq emoporium there's a lot of great info there that will teach you a lot of what you don't realize you don't know

Comment

in the FAQ, i read about why a carputer shouldnt be installed under the car seat. This shouldnt affect me because its a laptop and not an open box pc with wires everywhere. Now as for the power, the faq mainly talked about dc-dc power supplies. I plan on using an inverter. My question is how do i turn on and off the laptop without having to bring it out from underneath the seat each time.

thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sinabl View Post
          in the FAQ, i read about why a carputer shouldnt be installed under the car seat. This shouldnt affect me because its a laptop and not an open box pc with wires everywhere. Now as for the power, the faq mainly talked about dc-dc power supplies. I plan on using an inverter. My question is how do i turn on and off the laptop without having to bring it out from underneath the seat each time.

thanks!!
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...=inverter+auto

And as for the inverter, do not power it from the cigarette lighter. Power it from a wire directly connected to the battery, and tripped by a relay off the ignition line so it is only on when the car is on, but the power is coming from a good source.

The cigarette lighter port is not meant to power computers.

Standard maheriano picture:

Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

RE: Need switch to power on laptop

Do a little searching, as this topic has been covered repeatedly.

You have to either wire a switch in parallel with the switch on your laptop or docking station that is routed somewhere you can reach easily, like youe dash, or;

You can manufacture a mechanical device that presses the power button remotely, or;

If your laptop supports it, you can have it wake from a signal to the modem or network ports. This is usually a setting in the BIOS.

I'm sure I am missing some things that will work also. I personally have a laptop in the trunk in a docking station. The power switch on the dock is wired to a pushbutton near my lighter to power the lappie on and off if required.

For laptop power, either invest in a Carnetix power supply, or buy the appropriate DC-DC laptop converter and wire it as discussed above. A DC-AC inverter will introduce noise and static to your system.

Good luck

Comment

I am using a switched power source om mine with w3bmstrs auto on module. I am sticking with dc, using a 120 watt kensington power supply.
              Mike M
              2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

Originally posted by mwmcginn View Post
                I am using a switched power source om mine with w3bmstrs auto on module. I am sticking with dc, using a 120 watt kensington power supply.
                Where can I find this module?
                CLICK ME FOR BMW CARPUTERS

95 Avus M3
                Mods: ;-)
                Carputer: Lilliput 619, GPS= LT-20 Receiver, IGuidance 3 & Streets & Atlas 2K6, RR Front End, Removable Dell Inspiron Laptop, More to come........

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...=inverter+auto

And as for the inverter, do not power it from the cigarette lighter. Power it from a wire directly connected to the battery, and tripped by a relay off the ignition line so it is only on when the car is on, but the power is coming from a good source.

The cigarette lighter port is not meant to power computers.

love the graphics!
                  Blaz3 [|||||||||-] 88%

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                    Ampie Case
                    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                      I was wondering when you would find that.

That picture I originally made for you to illustrate the evil of cig lighters.

Turns out I have used it many many occasions now! No hard feelings.
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

haha no worries, but mine didn't have the laptop, it's altered!
                        Ampie Case
                        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                          haha no worries, but mine didn't have the laptop, it's altered!
                          true. I do remember I had to alter it because there was someone who did not believe that laptop and computer were the same deal, but I cant find the original one... Oh well. It still gets the message accross.

And isnt it getting pretty late in Calgary? 3am-ish?

Comment

Ya but when you leave work at noon to go see 300 in IMAX, that's generally frowned upon by management when you're the sole software developer on a major project. So I don't need to be anywhere in the morning.
                            Ampie Case
                            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                            M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by bimmeracer View Post
                              Where can I find this module?
                              ?
                              CLICK ME FOR BMW CARPUTERS

95 Avus M3
                              Mods: ;-)
                              Carputer: Lilliput 619, GPS= LT-20 Receiver, IGuidance 3 & Streets & Atlas 2K6, RR Front End, Removable Dell Inspiron Laptop, More to come........

Comment

Working...
                              X